DVD burners

Status
Not open for further replies.

youndkid

Solid State Member
I'm doing research in getting one. Man there's so many brands and opinions. What do you guys recommend and use? pros and cons? Hopefully a 8x +-R/RW drive. Nec, Lg, lite on, sony, or pioneer? and specific models and recomendations?
I plan on using it primarily to back up my dvds , back up some data, use it as a cd-r, and possibly backup sony ps2 games. Also what kind of media is best for the drives? I've looked at club.cdfreaks.net forums and there's so many opinions and problems. So for any of you guys that use and own them, please give me your input. thanks.

Drives that I've seen in action and also heard good things about are Sony, HP and Lite On. As for media, go with TDK DVD-R (RW)s. Or a similar quality -R (RW) media.

-Mike

what's the difference in using a dvd-r and dvd+r? if i backup movies which type should I use and which is popular with dvd players?

i don't really know much about the difference between the two, but my friend only uses DVD+R's when he burns movies, and they seem to work fine.

The biggest difference between the "+" and "-" formats is the hardware that is compatible with these formats.

There is a format war going on now in the DVD world. There are many corporations (Sony, HP, Toshiba etc.) that are competing for the "strongest" standard. Some says its "+" others say its "-".
(Can you say VHS vs BETA??) Since DVD is basically still in its inception phase, we really don't know how things will shift in the future so you might be better off getting a drive that is both + and - compliant!

It'll save you headaches... guaranteed

You might want to consider waiting a month or two...I just read that Sony and Phillips are each coming out with a double density writer for around $250 next month.

the disks will be able to hold 8.4gb and run aroun $5 a piece. You will still be able to write at 4X for single density and i believe 16x for CD-RW

i would wait for the double density but it's more expensive and newer so it probably won't be as stable. and dvd-+Rs have been out for a while and they are less than $100. the media is also cheaper for about a $1 a dvd compared to $5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom