Dusting your pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compressed air in a can is inexpensive as well. But the best way to get rid of dust from inside you pc is preventing it getting there in the first place. Have equal number of intake as output fans, and get dust filters to put over your fans.

Wouldn't those small keyboard cleaning vacums emit an EM feild (from the motor) that could damage delicate electronic parts and/or corrupt data on magneitc storage devices?

Here is something I just came up with:
If you have a canister vac, go to a supply store and buy one of those long and thin plastic attachments made for cleaning in tight spaces. Then, chop a long, maybe quarter inch wide in it to reduce the suction force and use that. You could adjust the lenght of the groove with duct tape or soemthign similar.

Wouldn't those small keyboard cleaning vacums emit an EM feild (from the motor) that could damage delicate electronic parts and/or corrupt data on magneitc storage devices?

Well, first off, you wouldn't do this with the machine on. Second, the EM field from the little motor isn't strong enough to do any damage really. The magnet would do more damage than the motor, and you'd have to put the magnet like...on the HDD directly.

The only think I don't like about those little vacs is that they don't get into everywhere you need them to. A can of compressed air, though, has the thin little nozzle that can blast air between RAM sticks, mobo components, and can be bent up into hidden PSU and gPU fans.

Use compressed air! haha (just to be annoying) its tough to beat an air compressor though for power and longevity and cost (if you already have one). But the moisture in the lines.... I doubt there could be some moisture.. just like our case fans suck in air from the room, theres moisture in that, and granted its blowin it right on the case but.. I just dont think (unless you had a ton) it would be enough to damage.

Canned air. It's the only way to go. In the car, on site, wherever the computer is, whatever...canned air, baby...

I'm still sticking with the brush hobby vac. Blowing dust into hard to reach slots, pins and connectors is NOT very healthy. There are vacs made for this sort of thing. Looks real small and has a long attachment that ends in something like bristles that brushes lightly and sucks the dust without ever realy coming into close contact. Blowing dust into a confined space is sure to distribute it into places you can't get to.

How is this even still up for arguement?

Canned air, everybody knows it loves it uses it.

There is no arguements here. Just use it

I don't know about anyone else but in the years I've dealt with computers not once has canned air blown 'dust into connectors' and caused any problem. If you blow the connectors, they get cleaned too.

I'm not too worried about microscopic traces of dirt I can't see, especially knowing that every grandma and grandpa out there has a Dell that's caked with dust on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom