dumb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

11shane

Beta member
Im having argument with my nephew, hoping you can help. Should you shutdown(turn off power to computer) everynight or is it ok to leave computer in, say standby mode for days/weeks without ever shutting down.

I shut mine down every night, just put it to sleep if I am away. Depending on what you are using it for really. Leaving it on is fine, but fully shut it down at least once a week to clear the memory.

Alough, I leave my server on 24/7.

I shut my pc down whenever I'm not using it. But I know people who never turn theirs off and they don't seem to mind.

I always shut down when I am not using the computer. I have a 10 year old comp that never had any problems.

I never shut mine down at all. One of the things I learned in A+ Core Hardware is that every time you press the power button you send a surge through the system. Which can adversly affect the components. It may not be such an issue today as it was 12-13 years ago when i took A+ Core Hardware but it is something that I also have seen. Had a buddy press the power button on his brand new system and fried every part attached to the mobo. While it could be a freak accident, it happened. I dont risk it and just leave my PC running all the time. Low Level Standby.

I keep my machines running 24/7. The only exception is my wife's laptop which is only used once in a while. Win7 doesn't have to be rebooted like XP did, so I only reboot when I need to tinker with some hardware or an update forces it.

I usually just leave all of mine running 24/7 as well, minus my laptop that I just usually put in Hibernate when I'm not using it, or take it from class to class. Like KSoD said, pressing the power button sends a surge through the components. It's like starting your car... the initial start-up and engine turning over is the hardest on your car's parts.

Mine is set to auto sleep if I leave it for more then 30 minutes. I don't like a high power bill :madd: I do shut it down when I leave for the day or a period of time tho. I don't believe it will hurt it to leave it on sleep tho. It's a matter of preference. The only difference is when you shut it down it doesn't retain your memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom