dual processor for video decoding - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default dual processor for video decoding

I am researching building a computer that will focuse on mass mpeg-2 decoding. I know the most powerful form of doing this encoding/decoding is by the cpu. I would like to build a dual processor system, but am not sure if the the Operating System will know how to delegate this load between cpu's. I know that some programs, i.e., xmpeg, flask mpeg, have multi threaded software to deal with this. If i have a dual processor system with out multi threaded software will this i still be able to use both processors?? Thanks for your input

Old 03-02-2004, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by MicroBell
What OS are you planning on using?
I think that is part of his question...

Apple, Mac OS , and Power PC
Old 03-02-2004, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to blake67t

Sounds like you are going to need the multi threading software, synching with the dual CPUs. I am not sure, however, if the non-multi threading software would work with the dual processors.

Do you mind me asking what your intentions are with the videos??? I am just wondering, since you are thinking about spending the $$ on the dual CPU setup, and the software required for it.

Thanks,

Blake

Straight Forward.com GO RIGHT TO THE BEST, no searching.
http://straightforward.bravehost.com/
Old 03-02-2004, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am actually working on my senior project for our local air force base. They have surveillance data, including, video, audio, and telemetry coming off of their aircraft and being linked to a computer. They want to be able to sync multi,10-20, video streams of aircraft for briefing. We have looked into an add on video card with hardware decoding, but it seems that for the money and performance multi processors would be better. Im just not sure if the software, i.e. XP or other forms, will know what to do with the hardware without multi threaded software.
Thanks,
Old 03-02-2004, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

i would goto http://www.2cpu.com and click the link to their forum or read around on the site. they are dedicated to multi-processor systems. winxp/2k/2k3 can handle multiple processors.

there really isn't much for you to setup. just buy a motherboard with support for 2 or more processors, get 2 exactly identical processor which is supported by the motherboard, and you are good to go. when you are using winxp or 2k you will should see some new options.

most of this balancing should be handled automatically by windows. all you need is software that takes advantage of multi-threading. click on the FAQ on the 2cpu website, they have 3 FAQs. this website will answer all your questions or you can post on their forums.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to blake67t
Default RAM

Make sure you have enough memory for this setup. Probably, if budget allows you would be safe with a Gig of memory for those video streams.

Plus with dual processing, the more memory, the better.

Sounds like fun interesting, and demanding things you are working with, good luck and have fun.

Thanks,

Blake

Straight Forward.com GO RIGHT TO THE BEST, no searching.
http://straightforward.bravehost.com/
Old 03-03-2004, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for you help!
Cheers

Closed Thread