Dual Processor PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude521

Solid State Member
Is this Idea a waste of Time or worth your money???

well here is a combo:
2x AMD Athlon MP 2200+ CPUs
Tyan Tiger MP S2460 dual Athlon motherboard

Well.. Tom's Hardware asked that same question. Here is a link to their writeup.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20020211/index.html

As you can see, the dual processor doesn't offer any significant advantages and they mention that the ONLY game that supports dual processor operation is Quake. Everything else will run at really close (if not slower) on a dual system, and may be unstable because the hardware isn't supported by the game.

All in all, unless you are looking for serious prestige among your peers in the computer geek arena (I'm a computer geek so I can say that, lol.) or have big rendering or video file conversion to do then you would probably be better of with just a faster single processor and lots of Ram. (not to mention a snazzy case with some lights and a solid game system underneath impresses the technoweenies just as much, lol)

Alexander

Dude521....I just came upon a Tyan 2460 mobo....I have only one processor for it though (do I need both for it to work?) How do you like the mobo....has it worked out for you at all? Any feed back would be appreciated. I heard that the ATX connectors tend to burn out from trying to pull too much power. Have any problems with yours? Like I said any and all info on this mobo would be appreciated.

Why not just get a P4 with Hyper-Threading??? It acts as two processors and you can see signiifcant gains when multitasking:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom