Dual printer set up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Dual printer set up

All

I have a set up issue that I am hoping someone can help with. I have two printers:

1. HP LaserJet 1102W
2. HP LaserJet 1006

I would like to set up my system where when I print a legal size document it goes to one printer, but when I print letter it goes to the other. I would like this to happen without having to select a different printer when I am printing. I believe that this might be possible through a virtual printer with a task specific redirect function, but I have been unable to find one that has this option. I also think it would be able to work if there is a way to make the computer think that one printer was tray one and the other was tray two of the same printer. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I am not extremely tech savvy, but I can follow instructions. I would like to accomplish this on two Windows machines; one is running Windows 7 the other Windows 8. If it works out, I might also try to set it up on my Wife's Mac, but she does not ever print on legal, that I know of.

Thanks
Agromer

agromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Dual printer set up

Come on guys. There has to be someone out there that knows how to do this. If it is not possible, please let me know.

Thanks
Agromer

agromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
The strange one

Default Re: Dual printer set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by agromer View Post
All

I have a set up issue that I am hoping someone can help with. I have two printers:

1. HP LaserJet 1102W
2. HP LaserJet 1006

I would like to set up my system where when I print a legal size document it goes to one printer, but when I print letter it goes to the other. I would like this to happen without having to select a different printer when I am printing. I believe that this might be possible through a virtual printer with a task specific redirect function, but I have been unable to find one that has this option. I also think it would be able to work if there is a way to make the computer think that one printer was tray one and the other was tray two of the same printer. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know. I am not extremely tech savvy, but I can follow instructions. I would like to accomplish this on two Windows machines; one is running Windows 7 the other Windows 8. If it works out, I might also try to set it up on my Wife's Mac, but she does not ever print on legal, that I know of.

Thanks
Agromer

You can setup printers on the print server to, by default, always use certain print settings (margains size, paper size, ect) - but you're still going to have to select which printer you'd like to print on every time.
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote