Dual P4 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive never heard of one... I dont see why ud want one... they make DUAL XEONS and dual athlon (mp) (multi processor) and dual 64s... but ive never heard of a dual p4....

dual cpu comps are more of uh.. workstations if u know what i mean, no good for gamers most of the time i dont think.

anyways, my point is i dont think they make them, ud be better off getting a single fast cpu if ur a gamer, and if u want some good dual action i'd reccomend dual AMD mp's w/ a soyo. lol
just personal preference hehe lol

I thought I heard of Tyan making dual CPU mobo's, but I can't remember if if was Xeon's or P4's:confused: Worth a look none the less:rolleyes:

cool thanks...I am looking to build a gaming machine, a little at a time...This means I will be using the best of the best and will purchase a little at a time over a period of around 6 months or so...I just want the fastest Pentium processor out, if dual is not good for gaming them I will just go with the hyperthreading. I am a decent hardware person. THis is my first complete build of a pc. I am more of a network person. Thanks for the help guys...

well, Pentium's gonna b coming out w/a new processor every two months or so beginning in the summer, so...i don't know maybe u want to delay buying one (or 2 lol) until absolutely neccessary.

Aren't the gains with dual P4's pretty nil due to HT technology now a days??

Perhaps you would get more of a gain by just getting a P4 3.2ghz+, instead of buying say 2x 2.8ghz or so:confused:

Just a thought.....

While dual processors will let you reap the benefits of SMP, your software has to be written to take advantage of it. If you're building a gaming machine, don't bother. Most games are unable to take advantage of SMP.

Several years ago, when the first Celery 300A's came out, I built a dual processor machine overclocked to 550 (X 2). It was fast for its time but if you looked at processor usage during gaming, only one processor was being used at one time. What was funny was that sometimes one processor showed 100% utilisation and then the other one showed zero. It would switch (seemingly at random) and the the second processor would show 100% utility and the first one would show zero. Either way, only one processor was being used at any one time.

So unless you plan to build a server don't waste your money, get a hyperthreading processor or one of AMD's latest offerings.

-Target

Can't you put it in a node or something and get the processage (did I just invent a new word?)spread out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom