Dual Monitor Setup's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am currently rocking a dual monitor setup with 2 different GPU's in my media rig. I am just wondering how many out there are running a dual setup similar to this, using 2 completly different GPU's.

Should I expect any kind of issues??

Main GPU is ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder PRO - AGP card
secondary GPU is S3 ViRGE VX 4 Meg - PCI card

So far, for the past few days, doing nothing other than having more space for websurfing, and iTunes and whatnot, I haven't had any issues.

Since I am embracing the older rig, and it will hardly play some of my newer stuff, I installed Diablo 2 this morning, and have to install the expansion & patch it when I get home in 2 hours, followed by starcraft & patch. When I am gaming, will only 1 monitor be active, or will I still have desktop on the other monitor??

Also, for gaming and such, if I have it spanning the 2 different monitors, is the 4 Meg GPU monitor going to look terrible, or not work at all, or does the ATI card do all the work, and the secondary card just output it to the display? I am guessing it will be the former, but I am not sure.

Should I expect any other kinds of issues to pop up with a set up like this?

I personally wouldnt be comfortable running two totally different graphics drivers from different manufacturers. I would expect there to be conflicts in the drivers, however, having said that i havent tred it myself so it might work fine.

BTW i run a 22" and a 17" off one card.

I'm running 3 video cards atm. Whenever you enable SLI it disables the use of a 2nd monitor, so i figured what the heck, i have 3 pci-e slots and a spare ati card, put it in, and hey it worked.
2x 8800GT SLI --> 24" acer
1x ati 1650 pro --> 20" viewsonic

I run two monitors off of my X1950XT. When gaming, your primary will be running the game, the secondary is available for whatever. I normally have TeamSpeak open on the other monitor so I can see who is saying what... hard to help someone when you don't know who needs it.

Ya its great to be able to look up stuff online without alt-tabbing back and forth between the game and other windows. Also nice to be able to monitor temps on the 2nd monitor while gaming.

Well, so much for that..... the stupid All In Wonder keeps acting up, so I am now back to the onboard graphics on the 900 MHz Celeron.... I would rather go get a root canal right now. :(

On a brighter note, I might be getting new PC parts for christmas (maybe early), so be on the lookout for a new thread at some time. (Probably this weekend).

I use duel montiors when I need them, but since I only have an old CRT for my second monitor, its hard on the eyes to go back and forth from my super bright LCD. Definitly nice to use when playing RPGS and such and you have the guide up right next to you, or when I need more workspace with SONAR.

And yeah, my games only run on my primary Display, I think the game would have to be made for multiple montiors to work properly or perhaps you would have to ghetto rig and external splitter for them outside of the video card for it to work.

Im running two 22 inch HP's off of one 8800GTS, you would think that the resolution of the card would be half beause of using the two monitors, but the card upscales both monitors to 1680x1200, i have one hooked up to my 360 via VGA and the they both use DVI for my comp, its the best investment ever, i know that with some games they will not run with dual monitors enabled, i have to go and disable the other monitor, but i will double check when i get home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom