Dual Monitor...need some suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Dual Monitor...need some suggestions

So I have a unique setup. I am seeing up a dual monitor set up in a court room. The computer is on one side of the rom and the 2nd monitor is on the other side of the room, not facing the user of the computer. The reason for the 2nd monitor is to display a scanned image of a citation so an officer can testify in court. The computer is operated by the city attorney. I did some research when installing the setup and the most cost effective solution was VGA over Cat5 using an adapter.

Amazon.com: eForCity 390911 2 Black VGA Extender Adapter To CAT5/CAT6/RJ45 Cable: Electronics

Well I finally was able to install the monitors and computer today and an issue popped up. Although the 2nd monitor works, the computer doesn't recognize it a the same type of monitor as monitor 1 and will not allow the same resolution to be set. This is causing the resolution to be set extremely low on both monitors to the point were text is unreadable. I can't use and extended monitor setup because I can't see the 2nd monitor so the user will not be able to see what is up on the screen for the officer.

Is there anything else that I can try to get this to work? It has to be over cat 5 because construction is done and it is impossible to run another cable and the distance made it very expensive to run HDMI or VGA anyway. BTW, the 2nd monitor is being output via display port to vga adapter. Would one of these solve my problem?

Amazon.com: Tripp Lite VGA over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender, Transmitter and Receiver with EDID Copy, 1920x1440 at 60Hz(B130-101-2): Electronics

NOLACop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Dual Monitor...need some suggestions

Have you looked into wireless HDMI?

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

No I didn't. Never heard of that before. What does it use for the wireless signal? Radio, WiFi?
Old 09-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

5Ghz wifi and should be fine for your application.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Can you give me a link to a wireless HDMI setup that I could use? I have no idea what I am looking for when it comes to a setup like this.

thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

There is probably a more refined solution, but this is a good example.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDK...xp_grid_pt_0_0

Access to my Plex PM me.