Dual display outputs - resolution issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Dual display outputs - resolution issues

Hello... I have my computer monitor set at it's max resolution of 1440x900, everything's a-ok with that. With the second DVI port on my graphics card (Nvidia 8800gt) I ran a dvi-hdmi cable to my "Insignia NS-L CD32" 32" LCD television with a maximum resolution of 1366x768. I set it up (Windows 7) to be an extended display, so I can just drag things from my primary monitor to the tv. The problem is, the edges of images go off the edge of the tv, by quite a bit. Unfortunately nvidia control panel wouldn't let me set the resolution to 1366x768, but it will let me set it to 1360x765, however I don't think that's the issue.

So basically I was wondering if there is some way to make it so that if I set, for example a movie, to full screen playing on the TV, the top/bottom/left/right sections of the movie won't be cut off.

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Dual display outputs - resolution issues

Welcome to TF!

There might be a setting on your tv for that. I'm not all sure, anyone else know?

Neowin.net Steam Account
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

TVs usually are setup with something called Overscan, its purpose is to do exactly what you described, chop off the edges of the image.
Overscan is extra image area around the four edges of a video image that is not normally seen by the viewer. It exists because television sets in the 1930s through 1970s were highly variable in how the video image was framed within the cathode ray tube (CRT).

You'll need to go into your TV setup and turn it off.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'll see if I can find that setting. If I find it, thank you very much! If not I'll post back here.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

If you are watching Movies with Media player then you can set your media playr options separately to your normal monitor settings. You canuse your TV to be the primary viewing medium and set the resolution to what you want.

Closed Thread