Dual Display - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Exclamation Dual Display

I have a radeon 9800 pro now i can set up 2 monitors on dual display on that one card but i was wondering if i can also add a monitor to the onboard video, or if i get a PCi geforce card will the drivers mess up since i have ATI's catalyst drivers on it? u know will the ATI's catalyst drivers and the nvidia drivers cause trouble?

Old 04-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to anarchy

Not sure if this helps, but tell me if it does:

"You need at least one card that is capable of supporting dual monitors because the resources normally taken by a single video card need to be shared across two; one card needs to share its resources with the other card. This card needs to be the master card, the card that initializes first during the boot-up process.

How do you determine which card is the master? If you're using two PCI video cards, the one nearest the CPU will boot first. If you're using one AGP and one PCI, the PCI will always boot first. In your BIOS settings you might be able to manually determine whether an AGP or PCI video card is the master. You'll have to poke around in your BIOS to find out."

Search TF!
<form method=\"get\" action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form></small></font></p></p>
Old 04-22-2004, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I think he might be asking if he can put two on one card and one monitor on his other onboard one having three altogether. And asking if he has to diff cards will mess with eachothers drivers.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to BlindApex

I doubt it, because all that happens on the second monitor is the desktop is extended. If it did work, you would probably just get two identical startups where everything such as mouse movement would show identically on both screens at the same time.
BFG GeForce 6600GT OC
WD Caviar 200GB SATA-II
Thermaltake Venus 12 HSF
CoolerMaster Wavemaster Case

|P|A|I|N|T|B|A|L|L|
my anti-drug
Old 04-22-2004, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Dual Display

Quote:
Originally posted by jacob77y
I have a radeon 9800 pro now i can set up 2 monitors on dual display on that one card but i was wondering if i can also add a monitor to the onboard video, or if i get a PCi geforce card will the drivers mess up since i have ATI's catalyst drivers on it? u know will the ATI's catalyst drivers and the nvidia drivers cause trouble?
The answer to ur first question : No ..U can't ..U will not be able to use ur onboard video to setup a third monitor ...
This is due to architechtural limitations ..the onboard video cannot work in the presense of another video card.

2. Yes u can setup the third monitor on a PCI card ... n' it should be a problem 'bout the drivers messing up ...

Just install the the PCI card after u have finished installing all drivers for the primary card. I suggest using the AGP (Radeon 9800) as ur primary card. U can set this up in the bios.

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Closed Thread