Dual core or quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cravingsleep

Baseband Member
Which CPU will be better for playing the latest and greatest (e.g. BF3 and Skyrim, games that now apparently demand 4 cores) if paired with one 6850?

INTEL : i3 2120, Dual-Core, @ 3.3GHz,

or

AMD : 955 BE, Quad-Core, @ 3.2GHz,

Thanks,

The Intel i3 is not meant for gaming. While having a higher Ghz, it is 2 cores running at 3.3 vs 4 cores at 3.2.

I would get like a i5 2500 or 2500K. I'm not well versed in AMD CPU's

What price range are you looking in? Plus you need a separate board for the AMD or Intel.

Youve got a wierd paring.

Anandtech gives comparisons here:
AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Intel really do excel over the AMDs.

You may be better off intel, even though the amd should excel.

Btw the 2500k is over $100 more than either...

Also, you can NOT compare the 2 chips directly bvased on cores and speed.

The Intel i3 is not meant for gaming. While having a higher Ghz, it is 2 cores running at 3.3 vs 4 cores at 3.2.

You should check some gaming benchmarks. At stock speeds, 2nd generation i3 is better for gaming than Phenom II X4

Also, GHz doesn't mean anything when you compare two different architectures. Intel Sandy bridge has higher IPC (instruction per clock)

If you are interested. Check this review that has i3 2120
Intel Core i3-2120 & Core i5-2400 LGA1155 Processors Review - Page 12

i3 2120 performed better than even Phenom II X4 980 in most of those gaming benchmarks

Against PII X4 955 the gap is going to be bigger

The Intel i3 is not meant for gaming.
That is not a valid statement. CPUs are not designed for special purposes. That is, there are no CPUs specifically designed for gaming, for CAE/CAD, or whatever. Therefore to say one is meant for gaming or not, is not valid. This is especially true when so much more than just the CPU make (or break) a gaming machine.

Digerati has a point. I used a Pentium 4 for gaming for over 5 years. That was not designed for gaming, especially using some of todays games. Digerati made a very valid point to the thread.

I am tired of the nit picking of every post. It was a valid point, one that I whole heartily agree with. The Core i3 could easily be used for gaming, if you do not plan on playing Crysis. If you are just playing some Steam games, the i3 would operate just fine. Now cut the crap. If i see this continue, I will start laying the law down. On everyone and everything. Got it?

No more posting that it isnt valid, which is an opinion and no more trying to validate the original statement and go against another opinion. Keep it out of the topics for support. We have a whole entire area for this stuff. Leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom