dual core cpu's - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default dual core cpu's

ok i am kind of after knowing about these things

the thing i know about these is there 2 chips in one now i am not into the hardware that much that i could make sense of the technical side of it so here i am asking some one to explain the in's and out's of these in dunce tearms

so a total novice can understand

thanks

Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: dual core cpu's

Dual core processors, have two cores in them. It is now the standard for CPUs, since more and more applications are supporting multi-core CPUs. The advantage over single core processors, is obviously multi-tasking.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

you may not see a difference in games if you upgraded from a high end athlon or pentium 4 but as B1 said you would in running multiple applications
Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

ok i am guessing there going to phase out single cores then

multi tasking, expand a bit on this (man i make it sound like a demand ) i rarely multi task my pc, either have 1 game or the intenet on

i also hear that chips lose some power i.e. there marked at a 3ghz chip and you get 2.4 out of it, if so how would it work with say the AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6400+

and how would it work with general family use (internet, music, home work ect ect ect )
Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

1 "chip" 2 "cores" or 4 cores in quads. I actually had task manager open while playing bioshock over the weekend, and to my suprise, it does in fact use multiple cores. Running nothing but bioshock it kept all 4 cores at about 10-25% usage rather than spiking out just one core.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsteve View Post
ok i am guessing there going to phase out single cores then

multi tasking, expand a bit on this (man i make it sound like a demand ) i rarely multi task my pc, either have 1 game or the intenet on

i also hear that chips lose some power i.e. there marked at a 3ghz chip and you get 2.4 out of it, if so how would it work with say the AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6400+

and how would it work with general family use (internet, music, home work ect ect ect )
Multi-tasking is pretty much, self explanatory. Doing more than one task, at a time. If you rarely multi-task, thats ok, because dual cores are very affordable. You can get a dual core, for as low as $70, more or less.

Lose power? Maybe you're referring to the power saving feature. AKA speedstep. But I believe this is only in Intel processors. What it does, is throttle down the CPU speed or power, when not in full use. And when you use a program, thats CPU intensive, the CPU throttles back up, to full speed.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

ok thanks

might be back with more questions later, thank you either way
Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

cant wait
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Send a message via AIM to commandercup Send a message via MSN to commandercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
Multi-tasking is pretty much, self explanatory. Doing more than one task, at a time. If you rarely multi-task, thats ok, because dual cores are very affordable. You can get a dual core, for as low as $70, more or less.

Lose power? Maybe you're referring to the power saving feature. AKA speedstep. But I believe this is only in Intel processors. What it does, is throttle down the CPU speed or power, when not in full use. And when you use a program, thats CPU intensive, the CPU throttles back up, to full speed.
AMD has a similar feature known as AMD Cool & Quiet which does exactly the same thing
Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandercup View Post
AMD has a similar feature known as AMD Cool & Quiet which does exactly the same thing
ok

any one know any sites that test dual cores and has info about them

Closed Thread