Dual Channel or No Dual Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprooty

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I have recently perchased a second stick of Geil 512MB PC3200 in hopes of been able to run in Dual Channel mode with the other stick of Geil 512MB PC3200.

But that seems not to be :angry: :angry: :angry:

And yes i did install it right just like this says

imageview.php
Colored sockets on a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro 2. Just install the modules on a socket with the same color. If you install one module on a purple socket, install the other on the other purple socket.

That is exactly the same board as mine.

But on closer inspection of the ram the stickers has different writing to eachother

The 1st says

DDR400 CL=2 5-8-4-4
GE5123200BL

The 2nd Says
DDR 400 CL= 2 5-8-3-5
GE5123200BL

I am guessing this means they are 2 different types of RAM?

any ideas?

the different numbers signify different latencies, however im not sure if thats the cause of your problem. Have you turned on dual channel in BIOS?

had a quick check of the bios.. didnt see anything.

Hmm i just spoke to a computer technitian who said its good to have the same latenclys but it should run fine of there not the same.

I thought the latencies had to at least be the same to run dual channel.

If you cant get them to run in dual channel because of the latencies, then you might be able to adjust the latencies in your BIOS. Just change them to the slower of the 2 sitcks.

they are the same ram

does your mobo even support dual channel ram?

if it doesn't then dual channel won't work

also, i have the same ram you have

default timings are 2.5-4-4-8 (same thing as 2.5-8-4-4)

try using the stick of memory that doesn't have the 2.5-4-4-8 timings and change it with your mobo and then stick the regular stick back in

It's running single channel says CPU-Z, and if your board isn't too 'advanced' then you aren't going to be able to change latencies and therefore not have dual channel.

You sure you've gone completely through the BIOS, anything that says DRAM CONTROL you'll need to set to manul to adjust latencies. don't just look for some blatent thing to kick you in the face saying RAM LATENCIES YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR or something like that.

Also don't gigabyte boards have like 'hidden menus' where you gotta press like ALT+F5 to get to more advanced things? I'd check manual for that.

Your latencies WILL have to be the same for dual channel to run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom