Dual Channel Memory Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendBreath

Daemon Poster
Hi,
I am interested in the GA-K8NF-9 but, it have Dual Channel Memory... If I want to use my RAM that I currently have (Infenion 512MB DDR400 3200) will it work? Because, mine is not dual channel can I use it in a dual channel motherboard?

From my experiance any ram will work, but you want to have 2 sticks of the same size. (im not sure if two different sizes will work but i dont think so) i have 2x 256MB modules, that are two entirely different brands. So if your question is do you have to buy ram that is advertized as dual channel,... then the answer is no. But in order to use dual channel you need tow modules the same size, and they need to pe placed in the corret dimm slots to enable dual channel (if your mobo has more than 2 slots that is)
hope that helped.

180 shrink your sig man. I know I've PM'd you asking once already.

Like he said though, the RAM isn't ever 'dual channel' the motherboard and CPU is what supports dual channel, those sticks that say that are just guaranteed to work in dual channel.

In short yes it'll work

What about it? I think you're too hung up on what dual channel is. Just put the stick in it'll work. Just because a board supports dual channel doesn't mean it won't let anything but a dual channel configuration run.

A motherboard isn't "dual channel" it supports "dual channel"

If you don't have RAM that you can run in a dual channel configuration it'll simply be single channel

Oh yeah it is better to have 2 sticks of the same brand and has the same latency timings. Whenever you setup a dual channel config, run memtest86 to make sure you have 100% compatibilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom