Dual Channel????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooltgle

Baseband Member
Okay so I recently upgraded my processor and mobo to the socket 939 3200+ and the abit AV8. I have two sticks of pc-3200 ram at 512mb each for a total of 1gb. When I put them in dual channel mode, it recognizes that it is dul channel but it looks as if it is reading the ram at 200mhz speed, not the normal 400mhz that pc-3200 speed should be in. Here is what it says upon the post screen:

Memory Information: DDR 200 Dual Channel Enabled, 128-bit
Memory Clock is DDR 200

If I bump the speed up in BIOS i get errors after 1 second running memtest86 and prime 95
I was thinking that maybe it splits it up and is really running it at 400mhz, but my previous mobo always showed it as running at 400 so I am a bit confused. Any ideas???

the base speed is 200MHz...the memory chips use a multiplier of 2x and that is how you get 400MHz. Leave it at 200.

-Aaron

that is good to hear but then why would it run at DDR400 in my other computer on the POST screen

It's just your mobo's "virtual" display issue i.e., tell you its running as expected in multiplier 2x. As said above you have a 2x multiplier wiht DDR mem. Forget about it...you're good to go!

yep, good old ddr. what is the difference between ddr and ddr2 then? is it just a bigger multiplier?

there is no 'multiplier' in RAM...it's because it does work during both the up and down cycles, that's where it gets the fact that 200MHz is effectively DDR400.

DDR2 just has higher frequencies, looser timings, and way less voltage to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom