Dual Chan Ram and timing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeth

Beta member
Hi all,
9 months ago built this comp with 512mb of dual channel Kingston ram (specs below),comp sound.

3 wks ago needed 1gb of memory...so bought another 512mb (2*256mb) of exactly the same spec ram.

Fitted them in the proper slots...wouldnt boot up.Switched them and still no boot up,the new ram worked perfectly as only 512mb,so ram was ok.

So took it to local comp shop and after an 1hr they managed to get the comp to boot up with all ram fitted...more by sheer luck than skill lol.

So anyways I was happy till I got EQ2 and when I changed the settings in Bios from normal to turbo...wouldnt boot up again,yet I can clock to 3200.

My memory was running at 400mhz before and after so that wasnt the prob.Its when I change the memory timings...anything not on normal makes my comp unbootable when on 1gb
Also my comp says dual channel enabled at boot up.

My ram fitted on the board is also in the wrong setup but will only work in this config.
Ie...slot config should be 1 and 3-2 and 4.At 512mb only... its the correct setup.When at 1gb however its 1 and 2-3 and 4 and its dual channel enabled.Will not work any other way.

So if its the board then why does everything work as it should be at 512mb.(Duel channel disabled if not)
If its the ram then why do they work at 512mb as it should be.(Dual channel disabled if not)

Can anyone shed some light to whats happening to my memory timings...and maybe how to fix the prob.
Will this have a detrimental effect on my comp...as in EQ2 I seem to have probs that really I should`nt have.

Thanks all.

My specs are :

GA-7N400 Pro2 (nForce2)
AMD 2500 (Barton)
Dual Channel 1gb 4*256mb Kingston 400mz (KVR400X64C3AK2/512)
ATI 9600 256vmb
W2k
All drivers (inc mobo) upto date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom