Drive letter naming

Status
Not open for further replies.

warl0rd

Solid State Member
O.K. Now I'm really starting to get conflicting information. Let's say I have two IDE channels, two ports on each channel. On my primary IDE channel I have a Hard Drive set to master and a CD ROM set to slave. On my secondary IDE channel I have another Hard Drive set to master and a CDRW set to slave.

Now, according to Microsoft's A+ book, my drive letters will be assigned as follows:

Hard Drive #1 = C:
CD Rom = D:
Hard Drive #2 = E:
CDRW = F:

Isn't this incorrect?
According to Meyers' All In One (a better source), drive letters are assigned Primary partitions first, then extended.

I thought it would be assigned like this:
Hard Drive #1 = C:
Hard Drive #2 = D:
CD ROM = E:
CDRW = F:

Please, someone clear this up once and for all.

Hard Drive #1 = C:
Hard Drive #2 = D:
CD ROM = E:
CDRW = F:

Thats how I would think it does it.

I may be wrong though, dont have 2 hard drives.

warl0rd said:

I thought it would be assigned like this:
Hard Drive #1 = C:
Hard Drive #2 = D:
CD ROM = E:
CDRW = F:

Please, someone clear this up once and for all.

That is how they are assigned at least that is how mine were assigned

hahah...they'd have whatever drive letters I assigned to them, not the other way around.

in Win2k/XP, log in as the administrator.

now from the start menu go to administrative tools > computer management

On the left hand side you want the option labeled, "disk management" which is in the storage group.

Once that has loaded...the lower half of it displays your drives and their current partitions. right clicking the partition you want to change and select "change drive letter and path"

should be pretty easy from there. only thing to take note on is that your c: drive can't be changed once the OS is installed.

Drive letters can be assigned from the Device Manager..CDROM drop down...choose the drive of which the drive letter has to be changed and then click on the settings tab...assign any avilable drive letter from below....this works for the rom drives...dunno if it works for the hard drives...

Oh, I know how to assign drive letters in Windows, I should have mentioned, the hard way. I am preparing for my A+ certification and this is one of the topics covered. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Maybe someone here has 4 IDE devices and could let it auto assign so we get it right? Im guessing shan could do it... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom