Drive default selection - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Drive default selection

Recently upgraded to Asus A7N8X DeLuxe Motherboard with an AMD 3000 cpu and 512MB PC3200 Ram

I have two hard drives "C" and "D" on each of which I have installed XP Pro, but each has differing programs and data. I installed "C" first, then "D".

The problem is that the boot default is now drive "D" and I can find no way to change the default to "C". The BIOS setup gives no help in this matter.

Anyone have a solution please?

Old 06-11-2003, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Sorry, haven't a clue and don't know how to find out. They are both internal drives and, in the days of using an A7V333 I could change, in BIOS setup, the order in which the drives would be booted.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

MB is asking if there is a Flat grey ribbon cable that connects directly to the Motherboard , or if there is an adaptor that connects to the Hard drive and on the other end a smaller black connector that attaches to the Motherboard,,

Reason being,, I believe MB is wondering if you have a RAID configuration in effect,, which ,, if you inadvertently set up ,, could potentially be mirroring the drives,, making two ,, act as One,,

cheers,

\"You\'re the Disease, and I\'m the Cure!\"
Old 06-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes, there is a flat grey connector with two sockets which connects to both drives. My drives are shown individually during boot-up, but the first and default drive is "D" and I have to select drive "C" and I want it the other way round!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

There is a 16 wat flat cable from Motherboard on which there are two 16 way sockets to fit to the two drives. I would love to set "C" as the master. This is precisely what I need to do and could do from Setup when I had A7V333 motherboard. I have two completely new (after full re-formatting) XP pro set-ups "C" first then "D" which following an upgrade I re-installed from scratch and used Norton Ghost to transfer files from older drives.

Why do I have two drives with XP pro? Well there are several reasons - XP pro is not bery reliable and has failed on me several times, and with a "good" second drive I can sort out problems on the first. Also I have differing requirements on each drive with different programmes and data
Old 06-13-2003, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks for trying to assist. I have sorted this out in "boot.ini"
which I found access to from "System"

Took a long time for a junior techie to resolve this. Microbell might have been able to assist quicker - who knows!

Closed Thread