The Dreaded Memory Selection!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
Well you're comparing $69 for 512mb of Corsair against 1gb of Twinmos for $87, can't beat that with a stick :D

Yes, that is also a huge seller in my book. :D!!

2.9-3v the TwinMOS will easily take and that should allow you to hit 220 with 2.5-3-3-7 timings.

You really need that much voltage to get to 220? Seems like a lot of voltage to me, then again I'm new to memory overclocking (I usually just use a multiplyer to keep my mem at stock)

desiboi said:
Ha, Mercury comparing to a MB, that's real nice...not

Not really comparing... They both have four doors, 4.x liter engines, leather interiors, but the Mercedes is clearly superior.... My guess would e that you get mroe bang for the buck with the Mercury.
Its personal preference wit the RAM too. Somebody might be willing to pay that extra $$ for the name brand ram, that has a guarantee and has that name brand relibility.

alright I have 80$ US and I need 3200 speed 1gb which would be the best hands down NOT OCING

i got a question what does the PC3200 and PC3700 mean like is it just better ram or is it something to do with compatibility and do all motherboards support "newer" ram?

PC3700 just means that it defaults to PC3200 speeds, but you can overclock that ram guartneed

The actual number is the bandwidth the memory can handle.

Here, I'll make you a chart-thing.

DDR266 = 266mhz = PC2100 = 2100mbps
DDR333 = 333mhz = PC2700 = 2700mbps
DDR400 = 400mhz = PC3200 = 3200mbps
(Note, that bandwidth, the last value, is measured in BITS per second, which is different from BYTES. 8 bits = 1 byte.)(LOL and 4 bits = a nibble!)

That's just the 'mainstream' speeds, theres others, such as the PC3700 or PC4000 (etc, etc.) that are rated to work fine at the higher speed, but that higher speed must be set manually.

The TwinMOS are comprised of Winbond or BH-5 IC's (integrated circuits, the actual black chips on the RAM) unlike TCCD's (which RAM like OCZ Platinum rev2s, G.Skill LAs, Patriot XBLs, PQI Turbos all have) it needs quite a bit of voltage to really shine....2.9-3v aint really THAT much dude, I plan on putting that much through my patriots, but I'll most likely be hitting 275MHz with that :D

Those TwinMOS would probably hit 250MHz on tighter timings than TCCD could pull assuming you could give it like 3.4v....mind you I'm just taking a guess here, for all I know it could get to 220 on 2.7v but that'd be up to you to check out.

As far as memory goes, and what gets the 'seal of approval' well if you aren't overclocking it doesn't really matter at all....just pick some brand like kingston or corsair and be happy with it, because overclocking is the only time in which quality really matters.

EDIT: Alec, your chart is wrong, 3200mBITS per second would be way too low, resulting in what 400megabyte a second transfer, that's not true, it's 3200megabytes dude, or 3.2gb/sec new AMD64s have about 6gb/sec transfer rate.

I get 218 on value ram 3-3-3-7 stock timings, so 220 should be real easy with twinmos with voltage.

I put 2.9v through my patriots at like 230 when technically the manufacturer specs says I don't need that much until like 260 lol....just gives you stability headroom and chance for tighter timings.

Oh, my bad. I thought I remembered it was bits, but I guess I remembered wrong. Thanks for correcting me. :)

Are there any Patriot modules I should look into? Or are they slightly out of my price range... The TwinMOS is out of stock and now I'm anxious.
I dont really need 1gb at the moment, but I would have the comforting thought that I wouldnt need memory for a very long time...

What about this OCZ Plat? Price is good... pretty good timings...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146889
Price is good... pretty good timings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom