Dos/Windows 3.11 computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Dos/Windows 3.11 computer

I am an 80's/90's child an I am looking for a computer that will bring back the memories of my childhood. All I need is a garbage computer. I was quite the computer wizz in my days but since we stopped using X Tree Gold and Dos I have fallen behind. Someone please tell me what kind of computers I should be looking for and how much they would cost. It HAS to have:

CD drive
under $200

That's it I guess. I just need to play the classic dos games and Windows 3.11 games.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Hinrichisgod Send a message via AIM to Hinrichisgod

ebay has everything...everything.

512K Cache, 800MHz FSB, Hyper Threading Ready
Cooler Master Jet 4
Albatron PX865PE PRO II i865PE Chipset
512 MB Dual Channel [256MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro @ 438/243
Sound Blaster Live! 24 bit advanced HD
Maxtor 120 GB - 7200 RPM
Seagate 80 GB - 7200 RPM
16x DVD 52X32X52 cd-rw
Cooler Master Musketeer System Controller
Logitech MX Duo
Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Old 07-31-2004, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to NeoNemesis

Ooo, if your looking for an old computer from the 80s don't expect it to have a cd rom drive. Most of the time they only have floppy drives. Believe me, I am just the same as you. I love old computers. In fact, I even took everything off of one and put my own crappy OS on it just for laughs. They are great for hacking and programming. If you want to find an old one ask your friends or anyone you know if they have any laying around. I have three and that is how I got all of them. This way you can get the garbage for free. Also see if you have any computer recycle centers where you live. They often times have several old computers for cheap since theres no demand for them.

PS-
When you get an old computer please do tell me what you have and maybe post some stuff you enjoy doing on your old DOS systems. By the way, I also am looking around for something that has like DOS on it or something. The computers I was talking about earlier only have (or had) windows 3.1. I haven't been able to find an old hardcore DOS one that has DOS as the primary OS. If you know of any sites (besides ebay) that is good for that type of stuff or if you know any good sites for people like you and me that like to hack into these old systems; please do share!
Old 08-01-2004, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Yea, people give computers like that away all the time. Many times nobody will take them and they just through them in the trash. I remember my old Laser Pal 386SX, which at DOS 4.01, Windows 3.1, ran at 8MHz, with 1MB of RAM. Games I played on it included Lemmings, Jetfighter II, F117A, SimCity Classic, and God of Thunder. Old 16-bit Wolfenstein was probably the most advanced game it could run, and I did all kinds of mods and level creation for Wolf3d using that computer. Ahh..the nostalgia.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea actually my brother found a Mac Classic and some other PC in the trash. I just think it's easier to get it somewhere else.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

or if you have a system already then use VMWare and that'll let you boot to completely different o/s within a window. I did this to get Ultima VII to run on my XP system. God, how I forgot the fun in having to configure autoexec and config to get some games running. Anyhow, yes you can do it in XP by using a virtual machine (dont confuse this with Java, I'm talking about a non-native o/s).

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 08-02-2004, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

my dad works at a university and he would always bring home computers from the trash that were top-of-the-line like 6 years ago. One of the oldest ones used Windows 3.1.
How much are you asking for one and where do you live, like what state....
Old 08-02-2004, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to NeoNemesis

Nah, I need one that is like DOS man. Were talking before windows 3.1 . Something black and green that is like 8 bit and is command line stuff. You know what I'm talkin about.... like a commodore 64 or an old IBM
Old 08-02-2004, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hell! Commodore 64? My old elementary school used to be FILLED with those things! They were garbage, you had to type in like two pages of **** just to turn the damn thing on. They were slow, annoying, cheap, ugly, and lousy and I loved them.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

hey i have this window of 1986 i don know its like windows 1.0 its only on 900kb's if any one wants it ill attach it .. let me know if so..!

Closed Thread