Doom 3 and HL2 - Graphic fracturing problem when moving around

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
Hi everyone. I have a strange graphical issue with doom 3 and half life 2 which I got no idea about. To make the problem happen I dont even have to be moving, I can just sit there and face a wall or some object and just move the mouse around in different directions. What I notice straight away is a fracturing effect on the wall for instance. Its as if the graphic rendering cant keep up with my mouse movement and the object on screen (e.g. a wall) becomes fractured/broken. The fracture effect moves up the screen and then disappears and then comes back again. This happens consistently. Its like the objects on screen are getting sliced up and everything falls out of line. Im pretty sure its not an artifacting problem, I dont experience white dots, or black shapes etc. and im damn sure its not a problem with my hardware because my friends machine does the exact same thing! and he runs completely different hardware to me. I am running latest directx(9.0c), latest nvidia drivers (71.89), latest bios/chipset drivers. I have a BFG 6800 GT, its not overclocked and it is running cool, idle is about 45-50 degrees. Also i cant seem to get a screen dump of the glitch, i hit f12 when its happening but when i view the dump, it shows a clear picture without the fracturing, almost as if this maybe isnt a graphical problem at all and maybe something else. I have tried increasing my monitor refresh rate but it has not helped.

Does anyone have any ideas at all what this could be?! please!? it sucks not knowing!

If someone is willing to accept a 24mb file through email, i actually have video footage of the problem. I would of course only send it to a person who is pretty confident in solving graphical issues.

my email address is in my profile, i doubt i could solve it for you, but if you got time to upload it to me i can take a look at it

Its not a problem, its operating as its sapost to.

screan tearing is commonly associated with Flat LCD screens, because there rate is just slower then CRT's.

but it can happen on CRT's as well, if Vsync is disabled(witch it should be because Vsync is a resourcs hog) and if you move the mouse fast enough or if you have a high sensitivity on the mouse, it will definatly cause screan tearing.

you can only eliminate it by....
1) turning on Vsync (not recomended, though i never used a 6800 it might not afect it much)
2) increase you monitor refresh rate. (to do this in games, you have to either be running the game in window mode) (or you have to use a Nvidia Tweak to enable "Refrech Rate Override" in advanced display settings)

EDIT: o yea, if your on a LCD sceen the 2nd option cannot be done. cause LCD's dont use frequencys.

diabloII said:
my email address is in my profile, i doubt i could solve it for you, but if you got time to upload it to me i can take a look at it

dude, can you give me your email address, it doesnt seem to be in your profile.

hey nevermind diabloII, but thanks for the offer. I turned on v-sync and my prob is gone. Thanks alot jolancer for your help.

Wow! I have this problem with my 6600GT. It doesn't affect it much, but I thought it was "normal" in a way. I'll try the vsync thing tonight.

Yeah i have the EXACT same problem

Half-Life 2 it only happens when I move my mouse fast, but in doom3 I notice it all the time, happens in certain area's when I move my mouse REAL SLOW

i went threw those 2 games as well, ona xp3000 6600gt. CRTmonitor

and i noticed that screen tearing was present in those games, but i honestly didnt notice, or forgot it was there threwout almost all of both games. so it didnt bother or affect me much.

it prolly changes to a degree with...
-Display device carecteristics
-hardware
-mousesensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom