does this higher ping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
If you had a slow video card and it was causing low fps in games ( referring to multi play since where discussing ping), would the slow video card higher your ping in games? I would think that the slow video card (low fps) wouldnt effect your ping because the low fps is what is only happening to your computer, not theres and has no relation to internet connection. At least I think.

I was on CS:S and they where saying it does but I wanted to see what you guys know. Also if it does effect ping, why?

Thanks

nitestick said:
i'm not sure. i think that if your cpu lags that it does effect your ping but not the gpu. so if your cpu is having trouble handling the game then you may have a higher ping

Yeah, I can see that making sense. Since the cpu may be getting hogged up by the game (and other running applications) while the internet connection data tries to get some stuff caculated (one senario of looking at it).

no ur computer has nothing to do with ping since ping is all ur internet so other people will not see that lag that u see since it is ur pc
so pc has nothing to do with ping its all ur connection

timmer said:
no ur computer has nothing to do with ping since ping is all ur internet so other people will not see that lag that u see since it is ur pc
so pc has nothing to do with ping its all ur connection

Completely inaccurate.

Back in the day, I used to play Quake 2 on a one-way cable modem. I had an ISA Cable Modem, and an PCI 56k modem. The modem was used for upload. My ping times were around 280-300ms to any server, at best. Pinging my ISPs dns server got me around 250ms.

I swapped out to an old rockwell 28.8 ISA modem and my pings dropped to 90ms to Q2 servers, and 60ms to my ISP. The difference being the old 28.8 did all the overhead on the modem itself, rather than being a winmodem which just offloads it all off onto the CPU.

soo how am i incorrect hes asking if his video card is gonna make him lag to everyone else this has nothing to do with what he asked TheHeadFL so dont say im inacurate cause im not u are u make no sense

Speaking of making no sense, I have a bit of a hard time making any sense of your posts. Complete sentences are you friend.

Yes, it has to do with his post, since as I illustrated, your computer hardware CAN and DOES make a difference in your ping time. I got a lower ping time by going to OLDER SLOWER hardware, just because it had less overhead on the CPU.

hes asking about his video card not hid internet cards or whatever ur talking about
NanoWarrior said:
If you had a slow video card and it was causing low fps in games ( referring to multi play since where discussing ping), would the slow video card higher your ping in games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom