Does formatting shorten disk life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
since i bought a new computer, I format it ,say about 30 times in 5 month.

Someone told me that i am shortening my HD's life. Is it true??

If not i will like to format again.

wow...... thats an average of 6 time a month, I think you just won some type of award or something for formatting your computer the most. ;)

But, getting back to your question, formatting a drive should not shorten the lifespan of your drive. If you think about it, the drive is constantly writing, moving, and erasing data, which is basically what is done when formatting a drive.

Granted, formatting is at a moving and erasing data at a different level but that is what hard drives are designed to do.

rajunpl said:
since i bought a new computer, I format it ,say about 30 times in 5 month.

Someone told me that i am shortening my HD's life. Is it true??

If not i will like to format again.

DAMN!!! And I thought that I was bad with just doing the BIG FORMAT long week end.

DUDE!!! Sound like there is something up with your computer there if you need to format it once every 5 days.

rajunpl formatting is old school. get norton ghost and image your partition the operating system resides on. it takes 5 minutes to restore an image of the OS compared to 1-6 hours of laboriously reinstalling the OS and all of the software. get with the times man :)

Wow, I have killdisked my hdd, re-partitioned my hdd, and formatted my hdd in under 1 hour 30 minutes. I do it before my school comes and check my school comps data which is about every month. I do an online school btw. I just zip all my files and upload them online, then download them after they check it.

Yea, I agree.....use Ghost.
LMAO......"Formatting is old-school"??
*Hippie Voice*
Yea man......we're only into the new stuff man.....
yea man......killer stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom