Does AGP have a future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Will the next generation of cards comming from ATI and probably Nvidia in May come out in AGP or will they be only for PCI-Ex? I would like to upgrade my video card this generation but don't think its quite time to upgrade my mobo/cpu.

I've been wondering it too, I don't wan't to buy expensive AGP card because I don't know if I can use it after few years if I wan't to upgrade my mobo and cpu..

Does AGP have a future?
Nope

Will the next generation of cards comming from ATI and probably Nvidia in May come out in AGP or will they be only for PCI-Ex?
Probably for like 80/90 dollors more then the pci-e equil.

PCI-Ex isn't that great I read, the performance/money ratio isn't very good from what I've heard, but keep your eyes open.

manufacturers will keep making AGP cards for at least a year but up until and after that the price premium will increase and increase.

if ur the sort of person who likes to upgrade all the time then agp probly doesnt really have a future to u
but for me, my current system will last me for a few years at least... I definently wont be upgrading the gfx card or the cpu... if I want more ram, ive got space for another 2 GB and i have 4 hard drive bays left, and thats all I can think of upgrading without gettin a whole new comp

Well, my CPU/Mobo is still very nice. I see no reason to upgrade from an Athlon 64 3200+. My graphics card is the only thing that needs upgrading, and I'm hoping I can upgrade that at least once before I have to build an entirely new system just for PCI-ex.

Its bound to take off in the next 6 months. Computer buyers after that would probably get 'advised' to buy PCIE because its "so much faster" etc etc

I'm more interested in what else takes over. DVD is suppose to start fading out at the end of spring 2006... I think for those UV discs that are being developed?!! Will PCIe be powerful enough to survive another few years of will it also need updating??

it will be there for a while. PCI-E x16 is like the AGP 2x model, they will upgrade PCI-E to x32, and x64 models like they did with agp when they upgraded to x4 and x8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom