do you guys keep your pc on while sleeping?

System gets restarted every time I boot

• System gets restarted every time I boot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cmos check sum bad(even after replacing with new cell)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that it actually takes more power to start up and shut down a ocmputer than it does to just leave it run for the night. But Moniters chew up power so it is best to turn them off.

I tend to leave mine on all night, it has 2 cold cathode fans that i can turn off the lights on, and 1 LED fan that is pretty dim and works as a way to keep me from stubbing my toes in the morning.

I did notice when I lived at home however that it did significantly raise the temperature in my room, so when it was really hot outside the computer got turned off. However since moving into an apartment where the utilities are paid for, I can crank the AC down to 65º F if I really want to and heat is no longer a problem.

GrimReaper23 said:
do you guys keep your pc on while sleeping?
Yes. As Optus Off Peak Downloads are between 1am and 8am.
And my sisyer (Mistress Of The Internet Account) gets the shits with me when I exceed the monthly bandwidth.

However I normally just leave the basic on. Like I will turn off the monitor, speakers and additional lighting.

My laptop stayed on once for 2 days straight doing Folding@home. I had it on books to let heat dissipate. But it stays off when I'm in bed because it use to wake me up early.

im wait for steam to finish downloading the cache for Half Life 2, CS-S. I just got 1500/256k ADSL and the damn content servers are slow.

I normally leave mine on when I go to sleep. I do however turn my CRT monitors off but not my LCD monitors. Anyways if any of my machines except the laptops are turned off they just automatically boot at 6 am every morning.

i keep it on, so i dont have to waste money on heating bills, and this extra money can go toward more heating devices. MORE PCI CARDS!!

I normally leave mine on when I go to sleep. I do however turn my CRT monitors off but not my LCD monitors. Anyways if any of my machines except the laptops are turned off they just automatically boot at 6 am every morning.

how do you do that?

little_emmynem said:
I keep my PC on most of the time bcoz i always download windows updates, imaging tools etc....but turn off the monitor as it consumes 75% of the total power of a PC. But if u r running Windows XP Pro/Home, plz check that you have a UPS attached to your PC as power failure causes the data to be corrupt
PooPoo, I say!

1) My monitor automatically shuts off after 10 mins of non-use.

2) Never had a UPS, and I have had MANY PCs incorrectly shutdown nmerous times, zero data corruption thus far. I would estiamte over 200 hard shutdowns in the last year alone among all the comps I manage, and they all run WinXP.

Then again, I am one of those who never disconnects his USB memory stick, I just pull it out...

waynejkruse10 I presume you meant how to set your computer to boot at a certain time everyday. All you have to do is enter your BIOS and under the power management section there should be an option called resume by alarm. The option resume by alarm may vary in name depending on your motherboard manufacturer. From there you should be able to set a time and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom