Do I need to use all 7 screw holes on my motherboard. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Do I need to use all 7 screw holes on my motherboard.

I am putting my uncles computer together right now and I have ran into a problem. I have seven screw holes but only six spacers. Do I need to get another spacer or just leave that screw out?
There is hole for a spacer in the case and the letter "M" next to it. The hole that I don't have a spacer for is about 1 and 3/4 inches from another hole if that matters.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
I Rule You

Send a message via AIM to FadingTheory Send a message via Yahoo to FadingTheory

6 is fine. Heck, I only have five, and 2 of them arnt even screwed in, their just spacing the board.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

It will not cost much to get another so just buy one and put it in. Afterall this is almost like the example below but it's over exagerated.

You take something apart and when you put it back together you find that the thing you took apart and "extra parts" you decide not to put them in and moments latter when you turn the power on it starts smoking....
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-26-2005, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Powerslave

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
It will not cost much to get another so just buy one and put it in. Afterall this is almost like the example below but it's over exagerated.

You take something apart and when you put it back together you find that the thing you took apart and "extra parts" you decide not to put them in and moments latter when you turn the power on it starts smoking....

I HARDLY doubt not having an extra screw would make something do that. The only way it would smoke is if he didn't put the heatsink on.

BTW, your in god shape man. Thats plenty enough.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Ok, is the spacer a required thing for grounding or anything like that. I mean will I have problems without it?
Closed Thread