Do I have to start over ??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default Do I have to start over ???

I'm about to build my 1st computer, and since it's my first time I have a question about all my data...I will be keeping my Hard Drive with 70 GiGs of Data on it...So when I put all the new stuff (As a Mobo,VC,PSU,CPU) will I be able to see the Data on the HD or do I have to re-install the whole system ???

Old 12-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

You need 1 hard drive to put the OS on. If you dont have 2 harddrives, you need to start over.

Old 12-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you just have a single HDD, and have a couple of partitions on it, you can put all your data on the 2nd partition and reformat the primary before u install the OS on the new computer. I just did it this last week. ..

Or you could just backup the data and nuke the whole drive. If you are thinking of "just plugging in" the HDD into the new computer and wait for it to start up and work normally, that might be somewhat problematic .. Driver issues, windows xp activation issues, etc. etc. Remember that the s/w you install to talk to your hardware is specific to a particular set of h/w.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

O I c I c...
I have partition on my Hard Drive, but I think I'll just start over...I'll just make some back Up DVD's and I'll be fina...
THX to ALL !
Closed Thread