DIY Wifi antenna help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ennui

Beta member
I'm new so I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place! If so please redirect me to where I should post this.

I have a laptop that receives wifi. I live right by my university at the girls dorm on the 18th floor (I'm a starving university student) and can receive they're wifi free of charge. The problem is the signal is too weak. So I've decided to make a wifi antenna. On the internet I found something called a cantenna and wokfi, so I figured I'd make something like that. Here are all the materials I have:

Plastic bowl
Can
Umbrella
CD
Copper cable
Ductape
Electric tape
USB
Aluminum Foil
Scissor
Kitchen knife
Iphone charger

My big question is really how do I connect this antenna to my laptop after made. Can I use the copper cable and stick it to my USB somehow? Do I need to connect it? I really don't know anything about building stuff or computers @_@
Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Get a USB adapter and a USB extension cable. Make a parabolic dish out of foil (use a bowl as a mold for it), poke a hole in the bottom for the adapter, tape it there (make sure no foil touches the metal), connect it to your lappy with the extension cable, and tape it up pointed wherever you get the best signal.

Get a USB adapter and a USB extension cable. Make a parabolic dish out of foil (use a bowl as a mold for it), poke a hole in the bottom for the adapter, tape it there (make sure no foil touches the metal), connect it to your lappy with the extension cable, and tape it up pointed wherever you get the best signal.

I did this to receive Wifi from the local hospital a few years back. 300+ meters between us, and could still connect to a sustainable signal. Albeit, the huge aluminum foil dish on my balcony made me look a little psychotic... (That's what my neighbors said)

When you do this, make sure you make the aluminum foil as SMOOTH as possible. (Take a small roller to it, if possible.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom