dissappearing dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

don2779

Beta member
Recently my dvd burner has started giving me some trouble. It does not show up after startup without running the add new devices. After that it seems to work ok. FYI the bios also doesnt always see the drive either on startup. The only thing i can thik of that may have screwed it up is i had nero and roxio insttalled at the same time . that is about the same time that the problems began.

specs
Win xp pro
Athlon xp2100
NEC nd1100-a DVD+RW
Nvidia fx 5200 ultra
512 meg ddr 2700

Did you uninstall one of them and reinstall the drivers for the burner and see what happens?

sorry, yes i uninstalled both, and then uninstalled the drive.
After re-installing the drive i put nero back on.

sounds like a hardware configuration problem. The NEC nd1100-a DVD+RW is the only cd/ dvd drive installed on your computer correct? put the dvd burner at the end of the cable and set it's jumper to CS cable select or if it already is, try a Master or Single jumper setting. if you have 2 drives make the dvd burner CS cable select, and the other cd/ dvd drive as Slave.

it most likely isn't a conflict between roxio and nero because BIOS does not even see it every time you boot up.

but microbell his BIOS is not even detecting his dvd drive at bootup every time, he can't figure out whether he has a software conflict yet until he resolves the hardware conflict.

thank you everyone for your replies but i have solved it!
i was using a spliiter on the molex connector that provided power to the drive. i have since removed it and everything is fine so far.
knowledge is power, and power is what makes optical drives work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom