Display problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveyt

Solid State Member
Hello, im having problems with my graphic card and the display. Im using a Sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb. I have been using the card successfully for roughly about four months with no problems at all but now i am having problems. All the games i now play are giving me displays like this http://img149.exs.cx/img149/2853/proevo46iv.jpg
It will be running fine and then suddenly change to this. I usually run my desktop in 1024x768 and run games in the same or 800x600. I have updated my cats to version 6.14.10.6505 which i think is the latest drivers. from ATI. Im using a MSI motherboard 850 pro5 with 512mb of rdram. and p4 chip.

I have tried formatting and reinstalling cats but still have same problem.

Is it possible that this problem could be caused by a old monitor? or is it driver related? Or is it heaven forbid a damaged card?

Any advice is appreciated greatly

Wierd. Try unistalling the drivers, then install DirectX v9.0c, then reinstall latest ATI drivers.

Yeah have tried that too.

Another thing i should have added is that i can vaguely remember this starting after i had installed drivers that were recommended by the cd that was given with the motherboard. I dont usually ever use them but on this occasion i thought id try them and remember installling them and then realising(doh) they were not proper ATI drivers and they were MSI graphic updates. So i then unstalled the MSI drivers and installed ATI's but still had the problem. So i then formatted thinking this would wipe them and then reinstalled drivers from ATI site.

Have you cleaned your registry to ame sure that any vestige of the MSI drivers are gone? Have you done that with the ATI divers before you reinstalled them?

Overheating? Was it doing it before? Either it is pumping overtime because of your driver problem, or it is on its way to becoming a doorstop.

Here is an idea. Remove the card, and install it in a different machine (yours or a friends). See if it has the same problems. If it does, it's the card. If it doesn't, then it is probably the drivers.

Have you made any other changes? Updated mobo drivers? BIOS? Installed any new programs (most programs today like to screw with things without asking). Try running MSCONFIG and uncheck everything you do not absolutely have to have running on startup. Also, run AdAware and Spybot to make sure you haven't picked up some nasty spyware/registry bug.

Let us know how it goes!

Kool. Im going to have a look at the registry and try the other things you have mentioned. will let you know what happens:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom