disk read error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the jesbus fire

Solid State Member
well i've just been having tons of problems with my dell dimension xps t600r. For some reason the restart and the power buttons got switched, but that's not really that important. I just finally got xp loaded onto it after formatting using the NTFS system but the next time i try to boot i get this error "A Disk Read Error Occurred press crt + alt + del to restart." But that really doesn't do anything. I believe my computer was set up on the FAT16 or FAT28 or something to that effect system before. How do i get my beast back in action, because reinstalling xp every time i want to use the computer isn't exactly fun.

My guess is that the harddrive may be on its last leg. How old is the computer? Also a virus or something to that effect could have switched the buttons on your computer.

the computer is about 5-6 years old, the hard drive is only 2-3 years old tho. the buttons couldn't have been switched by a virus if they turn on that way whether the hard drive is in or not.

The connectors might be switched around on the motherboard. Try that hard drive in a different system to see if its the hard drive or the computer.

the hard drive is fine, i just need to figure out how to put it back into the fat28 system. My pooter hates the NFTS system.

Also if you have XP all that XP will load is NTFS. Windows 2000 is the only Windows product that will let you choose wether you want FAT32 or NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom