Disappearing D:/ drive! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2005, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Disappearing D:/ drive!

Hi, recently i've been having problems with my LG CD-RW/DVD where when i load up my system the computer drive seems to 'disappear' and is not recognised. I looked into the problem (never opened the case though) and i couldn't find the solution so i tried system restore to an earlier date. The drive is back BUT, and heres the strange part, it is only back for that one startup and once i reset my computer the D:/ drive is once again gone.

I have planned for my computer to be sent into a workshop on tuesday to get a new graphics card installed so is there anything i should ask them to check while they are working on it? Also, i have never installed any drivers for my D:/ drive and i tried searching for them online but i haven't found them as of yet. Would a simple driver install be the solution? It does sound like a software problem if i can get my drive recognised with a simple system restore. Heres some info:

D:/ drive: LG HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4120B
Motherboard: Intel D845HV

Please help!

Old 05-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Old 05-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to xenosoul

I had this happen a while back. What happened to me is that the drivers of a program called Clone Cd, and I believe WinCDR were conflicting with each other. I also found out it only did it in windows XP. I just replaced my drive and everything worked fine.
Only difference between your problem and mine was that I could see it after a restart then it would disapear countless times..
Old 05-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Is it recognized in the bios?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Im not sure how do i get into the BIOS?

I have found firmware for this drive and i am going to install it, is it worth a try?

xenosoul: It probably is a conflict because its definately software if i can do a system restore then it comes back
Old 05-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch

i get the same problem with my samsung CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive. all i do is a quick reboot and it comes back up.

Closed Thread