DirectX 11 For Windows Vista Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
DirectX 11 For Windows Vista Released

Unlike Microsoft's previous try to make Windows Vista more attractive to gamers by bundling DirectX 10 exclusively with the operating system the company from Redmond decided that it was time to change strategy and offer DirectX 11 for both Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Many users believe that the exclusivity of DirectX 10, which locked out the majority of gamers, was the main reason that gaming companies did not take advantage of the new options and features offered by DirectX 10.
Windows 7 shipped with DirectX 11 and Microsoft promised to deliver the new version of DirectX to Windows Vista users as well. Microsoft kept their promise and Windows Vista users are now able to download a so called platform upgrade for their operating system which adds DirectX 11 to it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm........... locks like MS learnt a lession with Vista.
I have noticed that they are not releasing DX11 for Xp, but i think over the next few years, we are going to see MS doing what ever they can to kill off support for Windows Xp.

However, like Windows 98, I think Windows Xp Support is going to be still around for some years to come.

Well, 7's kernel is based on Vista's kernel.. so Microsoft doesn't have an excuse not to implememt DirectX 11 on it.

That said, I am a bit annoyed at the lack of DirectX 10/11 on XP 32/64. I'm sure it can be done, despite Microsoft saying it can't be.

Of course it could be done. But they want XP to die. Releasing DX10/11 for XP will not help it die and in fact help it flourish more. So they stop that and hope that people upgrade to Win7 so that they can get XP to finally die.

XP support will be around, till 2014. Then it will die. they already extended the support for long enough. I dont see them extending it again.

XP won't die, but it won't hold majority market share

It will eventually die. Like Mak said, they're in extended support until 2014, which they then can cut support to even Windows Updates for it, just like they did with Win98 after Win2k and XP were released.

XP won't die, but it won't hold majority market share
They said the same thing about Win98. How many users are on that now? Once there is no more official support from Microsoft, you will see everyone jump ship when they cant get any help for it, other than a tech site like this. Even then it will be tough as most people will be running Win7/8 by then. The mantra will be to upgrade.

By the time extended support stops in 2014 you are right, XP wont hold a majority share. But after the official support stops, it wont even really hold a market share period.

They said the same thing about Win98. How many users are on that now? Once there is no more official support from Microsoft, you will see everyone jump ship when they cant get any help for it, other than a tech site like this. Even then it will be tough as most people will be running Win7/8 by then. The mantra will be to upgrade.
Windows 98 was a different story. People didn't really like Windows 98 the way people like XP now.
In large part, the DOS -> NT transition was a big part of why people switched.
Not that most people know what the kernel is, but as a result 98 was very unstable and unreliable compared to XP, whereas XP isn't exactly unstable or unreliable compared to Vista/7. It's still an OS that a lot of people can really use and even like.

I'm sure Windows 7 will be hugely popular. It is a very nice OS. But I think XP will stick around for a long while.

I am not saying that it wont. It still has at least 5 more years to it. That will be when extended support stops. So yeah XP does still have a long time, in terms of technology and software, to continue on and thrive. It is just many people will stop using it after the Extended support cause they cant get help directly from M$ anymore.

I fully agree with you that it will continue for some time. It is just the pattern that once support stops, the OS usage drops off fast. People know they cant get support from Microsoft and are told to upgrade, so they do.

Well im one of the people who prefers xp over 7, i mean i have a pc thats no older than 2-3 years, but due to it having one or two niggles, and the fact that i think xp is more snappy, and if i want to do something i can do it without even thinking because ive used it for such a long time, plus everything just works perfectly how it should, not even a niggle what so ever, which i cannot say about 7.
I realise not everyone has problems and it works fine, so thats fair enough, but for me i like an OS to work perfectly, i dont like to be trawling the net searching for drivers or searching for a fix to a problem that wasnt there in xp, i shouldnt have to do that on a 2/3 year old machine that smashes the system requirements.

Unless its purely because its new and the issues ive got will go away in time, if so i might be tempted back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom