Dimm??

Status
Not open for further replies.

See Plus Plus

Baseband Member
Can someone explain what the difference between a 1 dimm and a 2 dimm ram memory is? What are the pros/cons of having one over the other?

I heard that 1 dimm are good for upgrading, and pretty much they have the same performance. Is this true?

thanks everyone

Do you mean like 1 stick of Dimm form factor vs 2 sticks of Dimm form factor ram?

If you're really wondering this, there's a couple of things to think about first.

1. How many memory slots are there in my system?
2. How soon am I thinking about upgrading to more memory?
3. Do I have DDR ram?

First, check and see how many memory slots are on your motherboard. If you have more than 2 you can easily upgrade after buying 2 stick of memory.

Second, how soon are you thinking about upgrading to more memory. If you only have 2 memory slots on your motherboard this is a key point to address. Are you going to be getting that extra memory within a couple months or under a year?

Getting 1 larger stick of memory in the beinning if you're thinking about upgrading soon will save you money in the long run.

Lastly, if you have DDR ram it's very beneficial to get 2 sticks of RAM at once. With DDR, if you have 2 sticks of the same size ram will allow it to transfer twice per clock cycle, thus doubling your transfer rate (This is dependant on your FSB speed though).

I don't really plan on upgrading within the next year. I figure, when the time comes and it becomes obsolete, and I really feel the need to, that is when I will do it.

I cannot tell you how many slots it has b/c I am planning on buying one (I was looking at Dell, but now I am just confused). I am not sure about the 1 dimm or 2 dimm - 2 dimm is cheaper, and it makes me wonder if that is b/c of the performance or just that larger memory cards are more expensive.

2 Dimms is slightly faster, but not much and may not be noticable. 1 Dimm of the same amount just gives you more room to upgrade. If confused think about it like this. You have a MBD that has 2 DIMM slots for memory. You want to start off with 512 of memory. Now, you could add a single 512 stick and have one DIMM left for later use, OR you could add 2 DIMMS of 256 (2x256 = 512). You probably wont notice much of a speed increase, but its a little cheaper. However, since you have now used 2 sticks of 256 meg memory to get the same amount of 512, and only have 2 DIMM slots on the MBD to use, the only way to upgrade now in the future is to remove one of the 256 meg dims and pop in a new larger memory module, essentialy leaving you with an xtra 256meg stick of memory that you will now have to sell at a much lower price than you orginaly paid for it OR put it into another system that you are building.

Okay, how about this:

Is it better to stick w/the 256mb 1 DIMM free of charge and replace the stick with 2 512 mb in the two slots to make it 1 gb? I mean will it be less costly like this? 1 512 mb stick is $150 at Dell...and 2 512mb are $300...while 256mb is "free" (not really, but you know what I mean)

well your question is rather confusing one, as 2 can be channels and at the same time 2 dimms are as well included in 2 physical sticks of ram, also, single-sided and double sided ram are different.

what you actually want to know?

I don't think I mean dual channel, or that I need two sticks to run the computer...I can run it on one, but I would like to change that one which is 256 mb to 512 mb, and then eventually, if I need it, add another 512 mb...

See Plus Plus said:
I don't really plan on upgrading within the next year. I figure, when the time comes and it becomes obsolete, and I really feel the need to, that is when I will do it.

I cannot tell you how many slots it has b/c I am planning on buying one (I was looking at Dell, but now I am just confused). I am not sure about the 1 dimm or 2 dimm - 2 dimm is cheaper, and it makes me wonder if that is b/c of the performance or just that larger memory cards are more expensive.

maybe it would help if you posted a link to the computers you are compairing...
then i would know better what mbd/mem options you are trying to decide on and could better offer an opinion as to which would work best and for what purpose.

now that's a whole new ballgame... (didn't realize it was a laptop) laptops will typically come from factory with only one mem module installed with option to upgrade... what i'm seeing is that there are two available slots (most likely on the bottom of the laptop, requires you to remove a small screw... the modules will slide in at about a 30 degree angle and then push into the snaps that hold it into place... you'll see when you open, very simple)
it's upgradable to 2GB!! WOW, that will get very expencive in a laptop!!! i would, if you can get at least (1) 512 module and then you have the option to upgrade with another 512, which i would recoment to do at time of purchase... it makes a big deal in laptops.
the P4 options are all nice, and the FSB is good as well
The XP Home is nice, but Professional is better if you are going to be involved in any networking/taking it to work ect. all in what you use it for.
cusomizing this computer dell is offering 2 dimms equaling a total of 512 (recomended) i would recomend the 1GB in 2 dimms as an affordable, better, happier alternative...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom