Dilemma with an old computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
I have an old computer that i found on the side of the road (free garage sale).

Its an IBM from 1991, has an 80MB hard drive, 2MB of memory (2 1MB sticks), old-school Mitsubishi disk drive, PS2 ports, and 2 video sources, chipset and card.

The interface for the video card is some type of AGP or something, i guess "IBM interface".

I was wondering which OS i would install on this beast? DOS, Windows 95, Linux?

I have a Windows 95 CD, but where could i get DOS for free, since its so old?

Here is a picture of it, its hard to find:
ps55z.jpg

Another thing, would that old P.O.S. computer handle a CD-ROM drive? I don't know if the actual PC would like that. I mean, the technology is too new :p

talldude123 said:

Another thing, would that old P.O.S. computer handle a CD-ROM drive? I don't know if the actual PC would like that. I mean, the technology is too new :p
Probably not. I guess if you can find a free cd drive at a free road side garage sale, get it and try it out :D

I have 2 CD-ROM drives and a DVD-ROM drive sitting around. I just dont know if that IBM could handle a CD-ROM drive.

I have another old system (AST) that can't handle a CD-ROM drive, and its on Windows 98.

Well, how does the hard drive connect to the motherboard? If it is with an IDE cable, try using an IDE optical drive. Just make sure you have the drivers for that device handy... maybe on a 5" floppy... lol

talldude123 said:
The interface for the video card is some type of AGP or something, i guess "IBM interface".
probabbly ISA (brown, bigger than PCI)

talldude123 said:
I was wondering which OS i would install on this beast? DOS, Windows 95, Linux?
windows 95 on 2MB RAM and an 80MB hard drive? good luck!

The Hard Drive connects via IDE, and the floppy drive is the standard 3.5" type.

Well, it can run on Windows 3.1, very nicely :D
Since it only needs 10MB HD space and 1MB of RAM.

Its going to be hard to find a copy of 3.1 :(

Re: Re: Dilemma with an old computer...

apokalipse said:
probabbly ISA (brown, bigger than PCI)

If I remember correctly, aren't ISA slots BLACK? Perhaps it veries from system to system....

Talldude, I have a copy of 3.11 installed on an old 486 machine I have sitting in the closet of my old room at my parents house... I am PRETTY SURE that comp has a functional optical drive. I have to stop by there on my way home tonight, so maybe I will pick it up and see if it still works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom