Dilemma Between CPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

YourPrinter

Daemon Poster
in a few days i will be building a new computer i am wonder which cpu i should get. i have listed the pros and cons of each some of my freinds love amd and will die with amd some love intel and will die with intel my freinds have very convincing reasons
AMD XP
Pros: cheap, dual channel
cons: i have discovered that my freinds 2800+ is really sluggish
almost as bad as my 550 mhz at some points-slow
amd 64
pros: faster than xp 64 bit capability in a way its useless for now
cons- expensive-no dual channel(754)
P4-
pros: can run many applications at once -fast (in my experience at another freinds house)
cons - expensive - slightly worse for gaming due to the lack of some extra 3d instructions amd has
ill do some moderate gaming
i like multitasking
if your gonna help me please dont post answers like "get it because it roolz" please have some sort of reason
im leaning towards amd
sorry for the long post my budget for the processor is about 300$
heres how each processor performed on opengl in tomshardwareguide http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-16.html#opengl

woah pentium 1 can run a internet? *goes and gets pentium 1 from closet* anyway... uh i would say get a intel cause it has hyper threding but im not cause then i would get flammed:p But its a chance i will have to make. get intel. Im still alittle iffy about AMD... Thats why i did not really get it this time. But, i mean... intels are allittle more money, but for ur budget you can get a good intel. o btw... is that 300 dollars for the motherboard and CPU? Here is a 3.2 800 FSB and HT in it.http://www.computerbrain.com/cbisys/buy.asp?main=CPUs&title=Intel_Pentium_4_CPUs&id=188 If its the motherboard and CPU post and we will find u a board.. but im sure someone below me will say dont get a intel get a AMD and then you would need to forget all of this :p

how much gaming are you going to be doing, because from what I know being a gamer and all AMD is on top, but for all the mutlimedia editing and stuff Intel beats AMD. I am one for saving money so I would have to get an AMD.

I would go with an AMD XP processor. Here are my reasons:

1. Inexpensive - Leaves cash for other things like some quality RAM or Quality video card.

2. Quality - These guys are not new to the processor biz. they have good products and a good reputation.

3. Function - If you're not going to be doing video editing, there's no reason to go with a pentium, go with an AMD. If you ARE going to do a lot of video work then go with intel.

4. Gaming - Obviously AMD is better for gaming

These might not be the best reasons, but this is my opinion. :)

I looked at the link. The XPs are at the bottom but spending $800-$1000 on a processor (P4 EE, or AMD FX-53) seems like a waste of money.

AMD64 isn't too expensive (s754). It is the best for multi-tasking and gaming. The only con is that it does not support dual-channel, but IMO, as long as u have some very fast memory... Who needs it!?

I would say the AMD64 is the better buy.

I think people over-estimate what "Hyper-Threading" actually does, I have read in a review somewhere that HT Technology doesn't really do anything.

I remember looking at benchmarks that actually benefitted from HT being turned off.

AMD
  • Cheap
  • Reliable
  • Best CPU for gaming
  • Dual Channel memory support
  • Very overclockable

Pentium
  • Higher Bandwidth
  • Faster for video/sound editing
  • Usually good upgradeability in my experience
Sadly I don't know much more about P4's.

N.B. I shall try and find the review about HT being almost useless.

I am curious why do you keep asking people about there xp slowing down??? I have xp and it never slows down, and I am on an old AMD Duron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom