difficult hardware problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazboy69

Beta member
Hi I currently have a computer set wit the motherboard and cpu and powerbox and everything else. I brought it from overseas witout the atx case. i started the computer without a case and with the old powerbox i bought, it seemed to start. So i bought a new atx case. the case had it's own powerbox. so i didn't bother to use the old powerbox. the old powerbox shows 150-230voltage on the side sticker while the new one shows 240+ voltage on the side sticker. i didn't notice it at first and started the pc and everything turned on and off instantly. the motherboard light dont even turn on. the powerbox fan doesn't even run and it doesn't even supply to a cd-rom. i tried the old powerbox then amazingly it doesn't work either. i thought the motherboard doesn't work no more but it seems the both powerboxes new and old don't even start their fans now. someone plz advice what should i do. i am afraid to use another powerbox thinking it will get wrecked too. plz help as soon as possible

Trying a higher voltage power supply may have fried everything on your board and all peripharals. When you say even your old power supply doesnt work, do you mean that by pressing the power button on front of case? of by the actual switch on the back of the power supply unit? If the board is fried, the power button on the front wont even work! To check if your power supply is working on its own, unplug the atx power plug which is connected to motherboard and use a wire (a paperclip will do - make sure it is insulated in some way!) and put one end of wire in the green wire connector (power on) and other in any black wire connector (earth) - doing this will switch power supply on - if it doesnt, you have a dead power supply!

hope it helps!

True True!~!

Bad news my friend,, I would say that more likely than not,, you have fried something on the MOBO,, see the power goes through the MOBO on and ATX case if I am not mistaken,, that means that the power supply will not even run until there is a load on it,, or a draw,,

the shorting trick that easy rider posted will work,, just dont be near water doing it!! hahahah!

If you took a machine from North America,, and then plugged it in in Europe,, I would definitely say "" FFFFRRRiieeeedd!!"" Due to the power conversion,,

You may have had to notify the board within the BIOS that you were making the change??

Then again,, I am assuming that you moved that far,,

Any how,, You may be looking at purchasing more hardware than you thought,,

good luck '

cheers,!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom