Different style hdd's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
What are the difference between IDE, SATA, and SCSI hdd's? I am looking to get the best for my upcoming computer.

They all have their pros and cons.

SCSI hard drives are great when used in arrays. IDE tends to be cheaper, SATA tend to have great performance.

SATA are becomming more popular just make sure if you get one you have the proper utilities to get it to work. (Most of the time they come with the drive so don't throw away that disk!)

Just to add to HoloCron's comment. Most home users (unless they have specific needs such as RAIDs) will do fine with IDE hard drives. They are very moderately priced and you can get them w/ different speeds and capacity.

SATA (Serial ATA) drives are fairly new on the market. i think they've only been selling them for about a year now. They transfer data at faster rate between your mobo and HDD; of course w/ the faster speed, you will pay a higher price. If you go w/ a SATA drive, make sure you buy a mobo that will support it.

ok so pretty much... I THINK SCSIs are the fastest w/ something like 15000 rpm which is really fast... IDEs are generally 7200 rpm which IS SLOW so you can expect longer loading times(from hdd not CPU with IDE) and sata are good now cuz their cheap, and realitively fast, i got a 120 gig seagate 120 gig 10000 rpm, nice stuff, $100 :)

I assume ur running winblowz so i definately reccomend sata

SATA aren't much more expensive than IDE, so for an extra 5-10 dollars why not get SATA :confused:
Now the difference between SCSI and SATA/IDE ... well that's another story :p

winblowz said:
ok so pretty much... I THINK SCSIs are the fastest w/ something like 15000 rpm which is really fast... IDEs are generally 7200 rpm which IS SLOW...

You can buy IDE hard drives w/ faster spindle rates but you will pay a higher price obviously and unless you're running special applications on your PC, i doubt the average joe user at home could really justify the higher cost, unless he just wants bragging rights.

Last I looked at SATA drives (about a year ago) they were quite a bit higher than IDE, from the sounds of it, maybe they have come down in price a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom