Differences between adding an ATA133 and SATA drive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Differences between adding an ATA133 and SATA drive?

I hope this isn't too stupid a question but I've lost touch with hard drive technology.

I'd like to fit a new HD, but I already have two HDs I’d like to keep, so I was going to get a PCI IDE controller with it and fit it as a third. I was looking at getting a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 because I’ve heard good things about them and they go to a high capacity. However the ATA133 versions of this drive don’t seem to be in stock anywhere (I’m in the UK) while the SATA versions are, and at a not much higher price. If I bought a SATA drive with a SATA IDE controller, would this work in my PC, whose motherboard I’m pretty sure can’t handle SATA on its own? If it would work, would it be any more difficult to set up and get working than a 133 drive? For example the steps I’d probably take adding a new 133 drive would be along the lines of

1. Add the IDE controller, switch on comp, add any necessary drivers, then switch back off.
2. Set jumper settings to master and add the HD and connect up to controller. Switch on comp and go into bios. Check the drive is recognized properly.
3. Go into DOS and run fdisk to partition the drive. Once this is done it should be fully functional right? Or have I missed something.

Would any of this be different for setting up a SATA drive? Assume I know nothing about the differences between the types of drive, as this is true

Old 10-03-2004, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

no, all have same method, except SATA wont show up on IDE channels.

although you can configure them on boot priority.
Intel Core2Quad 2.66Ghz 12MB L2-Cache
4096MB DDR Kingston Hyper-X
GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R
XFX 9600GT AlphaDog
Seagate 2 X 320GB SATA2
LG L246WH Flatron 24"
Closed Thread