Difference between branded and non-branded GPU's? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ninja Stargate Addict
Send a message via MSN to Da Viksta
Default Re: Difference between branded and non-branded GPU's?

OcUk are a decent lot, but just watch out for buying bradned products - i've noticed for OcUK, the branded products like Evga, palit etc cost more than in other stores, but their own brand products are awesome prices...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard: Foxconn Blackops X48
Memory: 8GB DDR3 (1361MHz)
Graphics: ATI 5850 1GB GDDR5
Hard Drives: 1 x 500GB, 1 x 1TB
Case: Antec 900
Old 04-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Originally Posted by Joeyboy View Post
omg i worded that badly......

What i meant was, if you buy like a generic nvidia card without a brand name like Asus, what's the big differences. It seems to be like 30 cheaper just to buy the generic Overclockers UK card, it has the same specs as say the Asus or PNY one. Is paying the extra just for the brand worth it, is there something i'm missing..
When it comes down to the brands, thinks that I consider...
* Warranty. How long, and what will they cover.
* Quality of the fan/heatsink. Thankfully they are not as bad as they used to be, but still I have had my fare share of heatsinks falling off and fans seazing up.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

Add customer service to that list, i'm always willing to pay a couple extra $$$ to know that if i have a problem i'm talking to a real person rather than firing off countless emails or voice messages or waiting on hold for tons of time. Also, take a peek at the webpages between the two and they support they provide there....compare evga to galaxy, i own both but trying to get a hold of galaxy or to find what i want on their page is a nightmare compared to evga. but I paid $30 cheaper for essentially the same card...or even a slightly better galaxy card for less money.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I seem to remember XFX used to be a little poor on cooling for their video cards. They're much better now though.

But basically, with today's video cards, the biggest physical difference between cards is often literally the colour of the PCB.

So what sets them apart are things like warranty, what accessories the card comes with, and sometimes they'll have higher stock frequencies and/or a different cooler.

Closed Thread