Difference between branded and non-branded GPU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Well i'll keep this short:

I've heard people say that when you buy a card from a site, it means the brand you recieve is random? Is this true or does say Overclockers UK literally make their own GPUs.

Lets use these two as a comparison:

This OCuk's 8800GTS OcUK GeForce 8800 GTS Extreme 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

This is one from PNY:

PNY GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

now there's a £12 difference here, it's larger when looking at some 8800GT cards. I;ve picked those to as i see no difference in the mhz of the core( both 650), both 512mb 1940mhz DDR3 memory. SO can anyone explain the price difference and if overclockers make their own cards or give you a random card( as in you COULD, actually receive a PNY)

When you buy a card, you also pick the brand.... It is not random. The difference is simply the name... Kind of like using a name brand food from a grocery store, or using the store brand.

omg i worded that badly......

What i meant was, if you buy like a generic nvidia card without a brand name like Asus, what's the big differences. It seems to be like £30 cheaper just to buy the generic Overclockers UK card, it has the same specs as say the Asus or PNY one. Is paying the extra just for the brand worth it, is there something i'm missing..

Like I said above, you won't get one of the brands randomly. You will get the same card, just it's a generic. I don't know what the quality of the generic OCUK card is, but I would like to use the brand name.

Theoretically, it should perform the same... but those generic brands of foods in stores likewise should also... but they don't always.

Personally, I would get the brand name... EVGA if you can (personal preference)

OCUK is a good brand they are starting to branch out into OEM hardware an a re doing a good job at it.

the main reason people buy name brand cards is for the warrenty, when you buy a evga you will get a way better one the say if you bought a genaric card off the nvidia website. evga and xfx are pretty much the best atm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom