Dieing Videocard? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ropponmatsu
Default Dieing Videocard?

I've been running the same set-up for over a year now and I'm starting to have some serious problems. I was already planing to upgrade with a new system next month but I may have to do it sooner if I can't solve my present problems.

I'm running an Nvidia GeForce FX5600, AMD XP 2.0ghz. 512mb PC133 RAM. Starting around last month I started getting video memory dumps like crazy. I'd be playing one of my favorite games when out of nowhere a blue screen would come up telling me my device drivers got stuck in an infinite loop so it flushed the memory and rebooted my PC without even being kind enough to ask me, let alone leave the screen up long enough for me to read it.

I lived with it for several days until it annoyed me enough that I finally formatted which I desperately needed. After getting back up and running I found that my problems were solved and I was happy. But then one day I decided to hop on a game and just as soon as I loaded it up my whole computer locked and I got the ill-fated blue screen again. So now everytime I got to play anything graphical several minutes after I get it gonig the same thing happens. If I try and watch video's, several minutes afterwards the entire video footage will turn green.

If reformatting doesn't fix the problems and I've used about 7 different versions of the nForce drivers. It must be a hardware problem, mainly m videocard. I'm quite sure its the card so I'm intent on replacing it next week with a GeForce 6800 GT or Radeon X800/700 Pro. Could I be wrong about it entirely being the videocard, could something be wrong with my AGP slots or any other compenent on the MOBO?

Little help would be appreciated...

Old 10-29-2004, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Nope i would say your judment is correct, return it and all should b well. ;-)

Keyboard Not Found .... Press F9 To Continue.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I sure wish I could return it if it wasn't 2 years old. It at least gives me a good excuse to go out and spend several hundred on a new card so I can finally play Doom 3 higher than 20 fps!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Several hundreds??? Grief i wouldnt just buy a cheep ati radeon 9200. Less than 100. Well here in the uk its less than 40 quid, plays doom 3 fine.

Keyboard Not Found .... Press F9 To Continue.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
ag3
Monster Techie

When the display drivers are stuck in the infinite loop, there has been an error in the communication between the video card and the AGP controller.

In most cases this problem can be solved by installing the drivers for the AGP controller that were provided by the operating system. This can be done through Device Manager.

ATi distributes an application called VPU Recover, which will reset the GPU when the infinite loop occurs. But considering that you have an nVidia based card, I would recommend taking a look at this.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
It at least gives me a good excuse to go out and spend several hundred on a new card so I can finally play Doom 3 higher than 20 fps!
That statement just disgusts me....

Quote:
I sure wish I could return it if it wasn't 2 years old
Hell man some companies offer a 3 year warrenty so lol you might still be eligable
Old 10-29-2004, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I checked Device Manager and couldn't find "AGP Controller" under anything: sound, video, and and game controllers being the first one I checked. I checked there locations and they were either on a PCI bus or Unknown. And for some reason it's saying my video card is on the PCI bus 1 where as I have it in AGP slot 1 and nothing in PCI slot 1?!?!

Is this normal?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

If you do get a new card, get a 6800GT. Don't get an X800 Pro, and heaven forbid don't get a Radeon 9200SE.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If it's a problem with my AGP controller then I'll just get a PCI card since the hardware is heading in that direction already.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

is there something i can download that will benchmark my video card,or tell me vid card temps?

Closed Thread