Did lightning strike my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jolancer said:
1.- to monster00- that wasnt lightning... its called epilepcy.. u may wont to c a doctor befor u jump back in ur car and get on the road.

2.- to beedubaya- didnt he say the computer was off durring the storm? theres no way ur comp can get fried wen its off.... unless mayb, just mayb.. your ina old house(1800s/early1900s) sorta like i am, except without the wirering upto date. u know the wiring, were instead of grounding threw a breaker just starts frying instead... so it grounded threw ur comp instead lol
1. http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13054

2. actually it is entirely possible for the computer to be fried even when it's off; the PSU controls when power goes to your components and when it doesn't, it is still connected to the mains, and a surge still gets into the PSU

taught me sumthing

wow, this thread has taught me to invest in a good surge protector . . .

we dont have thunderstorms where i live . . .

we barely even get rain . . .

105 degrees today . . . hotter than my processor :p

and its a prescott :D

no not really

just make sure u have ur computer unplugged outta the way.. and not just the power strip... unplug the power strip from the wall

My friend experienced much the same thing once, and even though the storm fried only his modem, their insurance company replaced teh whole computer. Bring this up with your insurance people. Good luck.

1. i was seriouse.

2. unless your an electrician, u prolly dont know more about electricity then i do. and im tellin u... if your house wiring is up to code.. witch most are. you cant fry anything wen its turned off.

most houses have a safety switch, although that doesn't stop the first 1% of the surge getting in before the safety switch actually recognises and responds to the surge
latency = time it takes to respond
even a safety switch has latency

ah, im not shur if maybe thats how it works in australia. but the circut breaker is totally mechanical, theres no 'recognising' that it has to do. once amperage hits the limit. it shorts. thats y stuff like your Dryer(that u dry your cloths with) has its own separite power socket, so u cant acidently plug it into anything else. the dryer draws more current then the breaker allows.

even if a lota surge got by... do u know wat a psu is made of? almost all the componencts in it(coils,copacitors,zeeners,transformers) natually resist current fluctuation(surges).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom