dial up takes all resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveK

Solid State Member
I am working on two computers that seem to be experiencing the same problem. They both use dial up for internet. When you dial in, most or all of the resources are being used. One is a win98 machine. The mouse slows down and sometimes stops altogether for a time. Then sometimes when going to a different page, it takes forever. The other machine is a winxp. I watched the cpu usage as it was dialing up. It went up to 99 and 100% while dialing and seemed to stay at 25 to 30% or more. Sometimes it totally freezes of at least temporarily freezes. As soon as I cut off the connection, it dropped back down. I have tried replacing the modem. I also suspected a problem with the nic and replaced that as well. Has anybody seen anything like this? Any ideas?

maybe there is conflict between another PCI device, since PCI works in series and running more than 1 PCI device might cause conflict between which device controls the channel

It sounds like you have Winmodems installed in the computers. Is that true?

Winmodems "steal" processor power to work, and that might be why you are seeing the cpu usage jump up.

Emachine, Run, run away as fast as you can.

The machine I was working on was an emachine. We found the Welchia virus on it, but I don't think it was causing the problem. It is a win modem, but even win modems don't take 99 to 100% of the resouces. We finally just switched machines. We are using another machine for dial up and we will let this one share the connection. Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom