Dial-Up Modem Questions. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Talking Dial-Up Modem Questions.

When you thought everybody had moved on to better things...

I'm interested in old computer stuff--I wouldn't be using dial-up modems for anything 'serious', but I'd like to mess around with old, slow modems. Here's my scenario...

I'll have two computers, with RS232 serial ports (right from the motherboard). I'll be using GNU/Linux on each (I'm partial to Debian right now; I do pretty well without a GUI, by the way). Now, I want to hook external modems to those serial ports, so that I can use one computer as a console for the other.
The real question is of speed compatibility--I hope to use this 1988 IBM 2400bps modem, or one like it--I can wait for other auctions to come up. Assuming that I'd have no problems between the computer and the modem, will I be able to use a much cheaper modem from the '90s with it? That is, can I use a V.34 or V.32 28.8K modem on the other end, and get it to communicate slow enough for the connection to work? Or would it be easier to use something like this 2400 baud modem on the other end?

What would dialing work like--can I just connect the modems directly with phone cord? The machines would be in the same room. Sorry if this is a stupid question, or a stupid idea overall; I don't know any better.

Executive summary:
External dial-up modems--how backwards-compatible are the speed settings? Can I get a 56K modem to communicate at 2400bps? Or a 28.8K to do the same?
Closed Thread