this device cannot start (code 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kad

Beta member
hello,

i recently added a soundblaster audigy 2 sound card to my system (specs below). the card worked for a day then while playing battlefield vietnam the sound disappeared. the device manager says "this device cannot start (code 10)" in the properties of the sound card.

i have tried changing the PCI slot, and have changed the HAL to "standard pc" and turned off "IRQ steering" and still nothing. i have also tried uninstalling all PCI devices on my motherboard and the problem remains...leading me to the conclusion that the video card is the likely culprit.

i have only 1 AGP slot and 2 PCI slots, so if my problem is the video card am i screwed? will it make a difference if i install the sound card first then the video card?

i have irqs 9,10,11,12 used, with 9 used twice by VIA usb controller and VIA PCI fast 10/100 ethernet adapter #2.

also, in memory the radeon video card, PCI bus, and VIA cpu to AGP controller all share the memory space [000A0000 - 000BFFFF]. dont know if this means anything just thought it was weird.

any help at all is appreciated...going on 3 days of troubleshooting now.

thanks in advance,

kris

ECS P4VMM2
Windows XP Pro SP2
2 * 512 MB PC2700 DDR333 ram
30 GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 8 ATA/133 HDD
40 GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 8 ATA/133 HDD
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
ATI Radeon 9800 Atlantis 128 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back