Determining USB type

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackx

Baseband Member
Guys,

I have purchased a mini-system PC for the purpose of checking email, word processing etc, which I will network to my exiting Computer via a wireless network.

This system comes with 4 USB ports, 2 at front, 2 at back. The specs tell me the 2x rear USb connection are USB 1.1, and the front contains 1x USB 1.1 and 1x USB 2.0

I want to plug my wireless adapter into the USB 2.0 port to obtain maximum speed, but am having some trouble figuring out which is which.

I've checked the device manager and it informs me that I do have a USB 2 connection, but how do I ensure that any hardware I plug in is on the USB 2.0 connection.

It would seem easy to call the shop, but I want to know how to detemine whether a port is USB 1.1 or 2.0 when I connect any device, not just a network adapter, for future reference.

Any help appreciated!

If you are running Windows XP, and you connect a high speed USB device to a USB 1.1 connection, It should let you know (Mine does). You might want to just try plugging it in to both connections and seeing if you can notice any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom