desktop TFT display troubles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

canukistan_2342

Solid State Member
SOLVED: desktop TFT display troubles...

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the best forum area to ask this question but here it is anyways. I might post it in the 'artsie' multimedia area too...

I recently purchased an LG L1730S TFT display. But I noticed that certian things, like the tray icons, look horrible while other things, like games and video, look beautiful.

I don't have a lot of experience with TFT displays so I have little to compare it too. But I know that the laptops I see at work don't have the same ugly tray icons and such...

The only difference I can see between my display and a laptop display is that mine has an analog input.

Does anyone know, FOR SURE, if this is the reason for ugly tray icons?

Thanks,

Are you sure you have your screen resolution set to the LCD display's native resolution? Are the number of colors set to at least 16-bit?

Ya, I've got it set to 'true color'/32bit.

Now as far as the 'native resolution' is concerned that is where I get a little confused.

It apparently has a 'native resolution' of 1280x1024. However, when I set it to this resolution I get a desktop that is bigger than my physical device. It's like I'm looking at my desktop through a sliding window. If I movel the mouse to one of the edges of the 'window' it will move to show me that part of the desktop. Does that make sense?

So I think the actual 'native resolution' is either 1024x768 or 800x600 because these resolutions show the whole desktop all at once. But the icons look just as crappy at any resolution...

When I get home tonight I'll take some pics and post them here so you can see what I'm talking about.

It's funny, the tray icons look like crap, but the desktop icons look fine.

I also checked out a Dell TFT that is sitting on another desk here and all the icons look fine on it, and it's got analog input as well.

I'm confused.

Ok, I figured it out.

I'm driving this monitor with a RADEON card. Under the properties of this 'display' it was not set to 'use DCC information'. Once I enabled that I got the proper native resolution of 1280x1024. Then everything looked fine.

Without the 'DCC' info the display was set to a max of 1024x780, which is an interpolation for this display, resulting in some uglyness...

Mystery solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom