Dell Server with RAID 5. HDD upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r71cuda

Solid State Member
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2600 server with 2 18GB HDD's configured as RAID 1 and 3 36GB HDD's configured as RAID 5. The OS is Windows 2000 Server and is installed on the RAID 1 drives. I want to take the 2 18GB drives and replace them with 2 of the 36GB drives. I then want to install 3 new 146GB drives to replace the 3 36GB drives. What would be the easiest way to do this process? All drives are hot swappable if that matters or benefits me.

Can I switch out the 36GB drive one by one with the new 146GB drives and let them rebuild the data and then switch out the 18GB drives with 2 of the 36GB drives one at a time and re-establish the mirroring?

All help appreciated.

Scott

You have the 2 18 gigs as RAID 1 Mirror and the other two Raid 5 Right. You will have to install the 36 gig drives RAID 1 and then RAID 5 the new 146 gigs. you are starting from scratch. Windows XP does allow data swap under certian circumstances but I don't think you can get there with all new drives in 2000.

I'm not starting from scratch. First I want to replace the three 36GB drives which are setup as RAID 5 currently with three new 146GB drives I have. Since they are all hot swappable drives, would I be able to unplug one of these drives and replace with one of the new 146GB drives and then wait for the new drive to rebuild itself, then remove the second drive and replace with the second new 146GB drive, wait for the rebuild and then do the same for the third? Would this work?

If the above would work, then I want to replace the two 18GB drives I have running RAID 1 with two of the 36GB drives I removed earlier. Since those are RAID 1 I believe I would have to shut down the server, remove one of the drives and replace it with the 36GB drive and power up the server. Then re-establish the mirror. Once thats done, then do the same thing to the other 18GB drive.

Does this make sense or am I way off on this one?

I think you are good to go. However, make sure you back that mirrored data up before you start the endeavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom